Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: What backup equipment do you carry? (split from: Equipment malfunction (!) - wheels clunking)  (Read 10503 times)

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Might be a damaged hub.

... you might have a flat spot on one of the wheels?

Sweet Jesus - these skates are crap!  Looks like it's time for me to upgrade.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  You've motivated me to do more than just assume that the sound will go away (it hasn't, it's just gotten louder.)

Let me change the direction of this thread a bit - what do you all carry around in the way of spare parts when you're on the road?  I'm going to be on the road for derby quite a bit this summer and I'd like to be reasonably prepared.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:03:07 pm by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline lets get it Shawn

• Stats Sheet: 0
I always have an extra set of wheels (I skate with Devil Ray, 91a (black); swiss bearings) (spare set is radar energy outdoor wheels with reds) and bearings, extra pair of laces, the tools to take off my bearings (alum hubs), clean, and repair skates. An extra referee Jersey, 2 pair of socks, change of clothing for after parties, and a cooler of beer. 2 whistles, 2 stop watches, lap clicker, my rules book, and a pen. 2 knee pads, 2 elbow pads, 2 wrist guards, helmet.
umm, i think that is my packing list    ;D

Hard Knox Roller Girls
Head Referee
Knoxville TN

And on the 8th Day god created me and the Devil stood at attention!

http://bonesbearings.com/products/bearings/bones-reds/

18.00 a set of 8 for bones

I would also look under accessories tab and maybe pick up the bearing cleaning kit and the speed cream.  I clean my bearing about every 4 weeks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:59:35 pm by lets get it Shawn »
Hard Knox Roller Girls
Head Referee
Knoxville TN

Offline DayGlo Divine

• Stats Sheet: 39
  • Fighter of the Night Man, Champion of the Sun
Let me change the direction of this thread a bit - what do you all carry around in the way of spare parts when you're on the road?  I'm going to be on the road for derby quite a bit this summer and I'd like to be reasonably prepared.

A lot depends on how far I'm traveling, how many bouts I'm skating in, and how many floors I'm skating on. The following things are a given:

• "Elephant tool" or other axle nut wrench
  • Toe stop wrench
  • Allen wrench with T handle (for toe stop screw)
  • Bags of parts that came with my Variant and Reactor plates, which cover every outlier situation I may have
  • 2-3 spare bearings and axle nuts
  • Spare toe stop (I've broken two at bouts/practices)
  • Whistles, stopwatch, bandages, ankle sleeves, etc.
  • Clipboard case with ruleset, blank score/penalty sheets, penalty abbreviations, and spare pens

I often bring a second set of wheels or even skates if I'm traveling far or don't know the floor that well. Last weekend was an extreme for me. On Saturday, I did outside pack for both halves of the Charm City/Carolina doubleheader in Raleigh. Dorton Arena, which is at or near the top of the awesome derby venue list, has a smooth concrete floor with lots of seams, drains, and other bumpy spots. I just got a set of Sure-Grip Sugar indoor/outdoor wheels, so I put them on my outdoor skates and brought them. On the way home Sunday, I jam-reffed the River City/Carolina Hurticanes bout. I need more grip for jammer reffing than for other positions, but last time I was in Richmond, the floor had just been refinished and was really grippy. So I took a chance and put the new pink/green Hyper Shamans I've been trying to break in on my primary derby skates. I also brought half a set of super-grippy Answer Tracker wheels in case the Sugars were too sticky for Raleigh or the Shamans were too slippery for Richmond, and half a set of bald orange Speed Rays in case the Richmond floor had gotten any grippier. The Sugars were awesome at Dorton; I barely felt the bumps on the floor. I did end up putting  the Trackers on as pushers for the Richmond bout, as the floor is probably due for another refinishing, and my Shamans were sliding out more than I wanted them to.
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline Johnny Zebra

• Stats Sheet: 40

A lot depends on how far I'm traveling, how many bouts I'm skating in, and how many floors I'm skating on. The following things are a given:

• "Elephant tool" or other axle nut wrench
  • Toe stop wrench
  • Allen wrench with T handle (for toe stop screw)
  • Bags of parts that came with my Variant and Reactor plates, which cover every outlier situation I may have
  • 2-3 spare bearings and axle nuts
  • Spare toe stop (I've broken two at bouts/practices)
  • Whistles, stopwatch, bandages, ankle sleeves, etc.
  • Clipboard case with ruleset, blank score/penalty sheets, penalty abbreviations, and spare pens

I often bring a second set of wheels or even skates if I'm traveling far or don't know the floor that well. Last weekend was an extreme for me. On Saturday, I did outside pack for both halves of the Charm City/Carolina doubleheader in Raleigh. Dorton Arena, which is at or near the top of the awesome derby venue list, has a smooth concrete floor with lots of seams, drains, and other bumpy spots. I just got a set of Sure-Grip Sugar indoor/outdoor wheels, so I put them on my outdoor skates and brought them. On the way home Sunday, I jam-reffed the River City/Carolina Hurticanes bout. I need more grip for jammer reffing than for other positions, but last time I was in Richmond, the floor had just been refinished and was really grippy. So I took a chance and put the new pink/green Hyper Shamans I've been trying to break in on my primary derby skates. I also brought half a set of super-grippy Answer Tracker wheels in case the Sugars were too sticky for Raleigh or the Shamans were too slippery for Richmond, and half a set of bald orange Speed Rays in case the Richmond floor had gotten any grippier. The Sugars were awesome at Dorton; I barely felt the bumps on the floor. I did end up putting  the Trackers on as pushers for the Richmond bout, as the floor is probably due for another refinishing, and my Shamans were sliding out more than I wanted them to.

I carry a single spare wheel, an elephant tool, the Reidell allen wrenchy thingy, a toe stop, a few nuts, two extra bearings, two extra bushings. That's it.

I'm not sure what wheels I'm using. They're blue - I think they might be Radars. They work just fine on wood, sport court or concrete, I've found.

And Bishop - spend the money on a good pair of Reidell skates if you haven't already. There's a good reason so many skaters have 265s: they rock.

~j.z.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:21:48 pm by Johnny Zebra »
===============
Johnny Zebra
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 3)
WFTDA Rules Q&A Working Group
Gotham Girls Roller Derby
Zebra Huddle Moderator

Offline DayGlo Divine

I carry a single spare wheel, an elephant tool, the Reidell allen wrenchy thingy, a toe stop, a few nuts, two extra bearings, two extra bushings. That's it.

Even that is more than most people bring.
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline Johnny Zebra

• Stats Sheet: 40

Even that is more than most people bring.

Oh, and extra shoelaces.

~j.z.
===============
Johnny Zebra
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 3)
WFTDA Rules Q&A Working Group
Gotham Girls Roller Derby
Zebra Huddle Moderator

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
BTW, For spare wheels you should also have spare bearings already in them. Saves time vs. pull the wheel, pull the bearings, replace bearings in new wheel, replace wheel.

I generally have a second set of wheels in my bag, with bearings already in them, stored in one of the large ziplock freezer bags.

Jar of tiger balm

skate tool (multi tool that has three different socket sizes built into it, and a mini T with a phillips head screwdriver and two Allen keys.)

Jersey..

Extra stopwatch

Extra whistle

T-Shirt

Shoelaces

I'm considering some extra tools as at our girls most recent bout the HR "Chuck N Hoes" from Mobile had a truck malfunction.. The dang thing completely came off, and WHAM faceplant.  But I wouldn't know how to fix that, so maybe a 'spare' set of skates might be a good idea too to put in my bag as back up.

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline DayGlo Divine

BTW, For spare wheels you should also have spare bearings already in them. Saves time vs. pull the wheel, pull the bearings, replace bearings in new wheel, replace wheel.

So true. The two pairs of skates I brought this weekend had different axle sizes, which meant I had to swap out not only the wheels but the bearings on one pair.
Charm City Roller Girls

Yea the 7mm and the 8mm always through me for a loop.  I thought all the axles for quads were the same 8mm and the 7mm was for skateboards. I guess that is not a true fact anymore.  I always make sure my axles and bearings are all 8mm
Hard Knox Roller Girls
Head Referee
Knoxville TN

Offline angri-la

• Stats Sheet: 4
Yea the 7mm and the 8mm always through me for a loop.  I thought all the axles for quads were the same 8mm and the 7mm was for skateboards. I guess that is not a true fact anymore.  I always make sure my axles and bearings are all 8mm

I think new skates are generally all 8mm and older skates are 7mm - no idea why. I have 2 pairs of old 265s that are 7mm. I got them both off ebay really cheap and one pair came with Hartford Gold bearings which are great. I use these for outdoors and Bones Reds for indoors.
angri-la
Referee
London Rollergirls, UK

Offline DayGlo Divine

I think new skates are generally all 8mm and older skates are 7mm - no idea why.

Not necessarily.

All Roll-Line, Snyder, and Laser plates are 7 mm. So are Sure-Grip PowerTracs and Labeda Prolines (which some veteran speed skater types have), as well as Atlases and a few other artistic plates that are rarely if ever used by derby skaters. Except for the Prolines, all these plates are still in production.

All PowerDyne plates (DynaPro, Reactor, and the stock nylon plates that come on Riedell's less expensive skates) are 8 mm. So if you have R3s, Wickeds, Vandals, Minxes, etc., that's what you have.

Most new Sure-Grip plates are 8 mm. Most older ones are 7 mm. The good thing about Sure-Grip plates is that they generally have standard parts between models, so if you have a set of the old 7 mm trucks, you can easily and cheaply replace them with 8 mm ones. I've got a stockpile of 'em myself.

</gear geek>
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:36:42 am by DayGlo Divine »
Charm City Roller Girls

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline DayGlo Divine

</gear geek>

SEDS addict :-)

I'm actually thinking of de-ANCREing my 122s and selling off some of my unused plates for a set of Navs.  :o
Charm City Roller Girls

Offline DayGlo Divine

Charm City Roller Girls

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3926
Views: 6409
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2550
Views: 5262
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2745
Views: 5875
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3537
Views: 5871
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman