Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Author Topic: Scorekeeping - Assigning Points during a Star Pass  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Charles Dickins

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • NHRDHNSO
  • League Affiliation: New Hampshire Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Scorekeeping - Assigning Points during a Star Pass
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:45:05 pm »
I've been given different instructions on how these different scenarios should be handled. I am not listing how I normally deal with them, but I would appreciate your opinion on how they should be handled. These are all regarding listing the score during a star pass. How should the score be listed if:
  • the jammer makes it through the pack then passes the star before leaving the engagement zone. The pivot puts on the panty then leaves the engagement zone.
  • the jammer passes some but not all blockers then passes the star to the pivot. The pivot then passes the remainder of the blockers and leaves the engagement zone.
  • the jammer enters the engagement zone but does not pass any blockers. She passes the star to the pivot who puts on the panty, moves through the pack, and leaves the engagement zone.
Thank you for your feedback.
Charles Dickins
NHRD - HNSO

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Scorekeeping - Assigning Points during a Star Pass
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:18:35 pm »
While maybe not the most "realistic", I'd keep it simple and always assign the full pass as earned by whichever player the JR is following (and thus IS the Jammer) is at the moment of EZ exit, when they hold up their score. Since there's no system in-place for the JR signalling partial scoring passes to each player, the SK would be left in a lurch if they were trying to judge the point-split from their seat. And IMO, it's not an important enough detail to bother trying to communicate the exact split after the jam, since the Star Pass itself is often complex enough as is.

That said, in your "Case 1", I'd not hold it against you if you chose to give all the points to the orig Jammer, and 0 to the new one. I'd hope your Head NSO wouldn't either, since this isn't in print anywhere, and I think there's "sense" to doing each way.

In "Case 2", at jam-end, if you were to ask your JR to approach & clarify exactly who scored how many, I'd appreciate your thoroughness & commitment to detail, but as mentioned, I'd feel it was unnecessary delay. And if I were the JR, don't be surprised if my answer were a brief "Sorry-don't-remember-gotta-get-back-to-the-track-now!" :-)

Offline HIM-roid

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • League Affiliation: Mississippi Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 03:26:38 pm »
If the HR/HNSO instructs you to do 1, 2 & 3 a certain way, do it their way. They have a reason for doing it that way and if time allows, ask them why they want it done this way. Maybe there is something that makes sense in there that you may want to adopt. As Pickle says, it really isn't spelled out in the SP's and I don't think the 3-1 or 2-2 split is really worth the extra brain cells. I will say, make sure you let the HR/HNSO that you are just asking because you have never heard of doing it this way and you are asking to see if there is something that may make it easier on yourself and not confronting them as to say their way sucks. Some officials are very "sensitive" so to say and any question you may have may cause them to take a defensive approach.
HIM-roid
WFTDA Apprentice Officials Area Coordinator
Head of Officiating
Mississippi Rollergirls
WFTDA-Certified Referee, Level 2
WFTDA Officials Apprentice Program Area Coordinator

Offline Charles Dickins

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • NHRDHNSO
  • League Affiliation: New Hampshire Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 03:20:17 pm »
I AM the head NSO. Previously, we just blanket gave points to the Pivot if the Jammer Ref signaled points after the had put on the jammer panty. But based on something said at the August clinic, it was suggested there are situations where points should be given to the original Jammer instead. I'm trying to find out what that standard is as I'm in the midst of updating our league NSO documentation. I can make a blanket ruling for New Hampshire, but was hoping there was a consensus among other leagues that I could reference.
Charles Dickins
NHRD - HNSO

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3211
Views: 5105
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2311
Views: 4758
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2466
Views: 5303
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3248
Views: 5299
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman