WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Author Topic: Confidentiality!  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Confidentiality!
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:24:46 pm »
There have been a number of posts lately that border on, or completely break confidentiality agreements that ZH members have signed with the WFTDA.

I want to remind all of you that if it isn't on the website, DO NOT POST IT HERE. If it is something that a WFTDA rep should know leave it at "ask your WFTDA rep".

ZH has a lot to gain by being in the WFTDA's good graces and if it becomes a source for leaks, it could damage the relationship we have with the WFTDA. We (the moderators and myself) do what we can to deal with any breaches of confidentiality. A number of you have gotten messages over the years that your post was removed or modified because of confidential information*. This creates more work for us.

So please take extra caution to make sure that any information you post is publicly available.

Thank you,
Major Wood

* The only posts we remove are direct breaches of confidentiality or spam. The only posts we modify (other than our own) are posts that contain a direct breach of confidentiality, but contain useful content beyond the confidential information.

EDIT: There is one other case where we might modify a post - If a post contains a some type of bulletin board code that is badly broken, making the post very difficult to read.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:28:26 pm by Major Wood »
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Major Puddles

• Stats Sheet: 2
Re: Confidentiality!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 10:31:15 pm »
In regards to confidentiality and the restrictions it imposes, what do the WFTDA ref's think of this? What information is it protecting? I know there is a lot of rule discussion that happens, and that is protected, but why? I would think that making that information available to all refs would be a good thing, particularly as essentially it becomes law for a WFTDA referee. Is it just to make it more appealing to become a WFTDA league, or referee?

I understand if this is something you don't feel particularly comfortable talking about, and that's fine. Obviously I'm not asking for details, or anything that would breach confidentiality. But I have run into the WFTDA NDA a couple of times, and I've always wondered what it's purpose is. Please don't think I am trolling, or trying to cause trouble here, just trying to understand the need for it.

Offline The Sharmanator

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls / Cincinnati Battering Rams
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 11:59:17 pm »
I'm in no position to give an official answer but I think one of the main reasons is to try and stop a lot of miscommunication.  The WFTDA talks about a lot of issues that may change many times before it's final version is published or may never ever make it out of the WFTDA. 

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:08:16 am »
The need for the WFTDA NDA, as I understand it:

WFTDA is almost all volunteers, trying to do things to improve flat track roller derby.
Most volunteers have limited time available, even for things they love.
Some people try to be "helpful"/push their own agenda/create obstructions when they find out someone is trying to do a particular thing.
So the NDA is to help these valued volunteers try to actually accomplish something, to improve flat track roller derby, rather than just field questions, re-explain why they are doing something the way they are, defend why someone's pet "way to do things" was excluded, and so on.
Sometimes the NDA is so that WFTDA can make an official announcement that multiple people have read and edited, rather than someone drubnk posting on bookFace.

Since I have been able to peek behind the pink curtain of the NDA (2009), WFTDA has been far, far, far more forthcoming about announcing things, and allowing things to be made public. Are there still hiccups? Yep. Are they intentional, for something that is finalized, no longer in process, or has been decided? Nope, but The humans doing things still make mistakes.
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Numb3r Crunch3r

• Stats Sheet: 13
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:32:28 am »
Having seen behind the curtain, the big reason for it, for me, is in an attempt to create a 'one voice' concept. It's better to debate behind the curtain, but even then the consensus reached by referees debating may be different to the official ruling of the WFTDA rules committee which gets publicly released as a clarification, or different to the way that membership chooses to view on an issue.

That final part is most important. Membership, the leagues and skaters, vote on rules changes. Refs do not write the rules, they enforce them. Having open slather discussion wouldn't stop membership from changing the rule next time around - all it would do in the meantime is detract from the professional 'one voice' image that I believe WFTDA strives for.

Offline llama of death

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • Referee
  • League Affiliation: Rollling Hills Derby Dames, WheatWhackers (JRDA)
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 05:19:38 pm »
So, where does emailed questions to WFTDA-rules fall under NDA? In or out? It was through the website but not ON the website.
I play devils advocate a lot, it is always because I desire a complete understanding of the rule/scenario. I do make changes to my reffing often as a direct result of discussions resulting in a consensus. Particularly if it is contrary to my previous understanding.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:55:34 pm »
So, where does emailed questions to WFTDA-rules fall under NDA? In or out? It was through the website but not ON the website.

That is something that there has been any kind of official statement on, as far as I'm aware. Given that it was shared with you (a non-WFTDA referee), I can't imagine that it is anything confidential.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3177
Views: 5026
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2279
Views: 4695
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2431
Views: 5224
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3218
Views: 5243
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman