Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: Hellahard -NSO tips needed  (Read 5679 times)

Offline Stella Artwalk

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Bellingham Roller Betties
Hellahard -NSO tips needed
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:17:39 am »
I am planning to take the NSO Hellahard in April and would appreciate feedback: what percentage do we need to pass? Are there topics or documents to study specific to the NSO portion?  What do you recommend for average score on roller derby Test-O-Matic to be in good shape? I have almost zero experience in paperwork and stats book, is the test across all paperwork and stats or just the group of roles like score & timing / penalty mgmt etc.?  Any and all helpful info, suggestions, memories, jokes would be appreciated. I haven't had a chance to chat with anyone that has taken or passed the NSO rules and procedures test. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:09:54 pm by Stella Artwalk »

Offline Charles Dickins

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • NHRDHNSO
  • League Affiliation: New Hampshire Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Re: Hellahard -NSO tips needed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:34:01 am »
Out of curiosity, what NSO positions have you been filling that you have no experience with paperwork?
Charles Dickins
NHRD - HNSO

Offline SilkenTofu

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Rollergirls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 01:17:07 pm »
Out of curiosity, what NSO positions have you been filling that you have no experience with paperwork?

I'm also curious about this.

As you can see from the certification application,  there are separate tests.  The one dubbed the "Hellahard" (sidenote: I've also heard the referee test referred to as such) is the "NSO Certification Rules and Procedures Test."  Then there are separate tests for each Endorsement: Score & Timing (scoreboard/jam timer/scorekeeper), Penalty Tracking (penalty tracker/wrangler/inside whiteboard/outside whiteboard if applicable), Penalty Management (box manager/box timer/lineup tracker), and Head NSO.  So it's a safe bet that the "Hellahard" covers a little bit of everything.
Bloomington, IN
WFTDA Level 5 Certified NSO
WFTDA Clinic Instructor, WFTDA Officials Committee member
MRDA Certification Committee

Offline Stella Artwalk

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:56:53 pm »
I have been mostly jam timing and we haven't used paperwork at scrimmage when we are short staff or at the last bout (not sanctioned). I have also been helping a new league nearby, but they are so New they haven't been able to recruit more than a couple NSO' s, let alone learn or use paperwork.

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »
If you take a look at the definitions of the levels of certification, they're all focussed on sanctioned play.

You should expect to be required to know how to fill out the portions of the statsbook that are required for sanctioned play.  If you take a look at the read me tab of the statsbook it describes which of the tabs are required and which are optional.  (They're all color coded to make it easier to identify them)

The statsbook is here:
http://wftda.com/stats

Otherwise if you go to the officiating site of WFTDA:
http://wftda.com/officiating

It has information on certification as well as good documents to know like standard practices, hand signals,  and verbal cues.

Offline escales

• League Affiliation: Perth Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »
Stella

I did the Hellahard last year in Melbourne and thought I was pretty good (coming from Perth and being extremely naive/overconfident) and had it in the bag.

HOW WRONG WAS I?!?

Looking back I hadn't had nearly enough experience with paperwork. If its the same as last year, yep, rules questions but then you're completing bout paperwork from a written line by line 'play' of a derby game, jam by jam. You have to get it 100% right. Get using that paperwork at scrimmage and start filling it in - practice makes perfect.

Sitting round 2 in Auckland in April. Fingers crossed!
Perth Roller Derby
Head of Officials
Head NSO

Derby West NSO Rep
Derby West Treasurer

Offline Stella Artwalk

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 10:00:12 pm »
Hi folks... It only took a month but I finally got information about what the different sections of the NSO test is like and what the minimum requirements are to pass.
 I will be focusing on working toward level 2 certification in the Score and Timing section:  Jam timing/ scorekeeping / scoreboard operator .
I feel that I have general experience as a Jam timer for home scrimmages and 4 bouts.... but I will not have had a single opportunity to experience a scorekeeping or scoreboard operator position before my test (we generally do not have enough nso's at a scrimmage to run scorekeepers and don't bother with a scoreboard, and visiting nso or our head nso have always had those positions at bouts). 
would any of you amazing NSO and refs have suggestions for how & what to study for those positions and the paperwork that applies to them?  I have yet to see or experience how that paperwork is used.

Million thanks!
~Stella Artwalk

Offline Nick Bergus

• Stats Sheet: 10
  • League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:21:40 pm »
Stella, the test for certification covers all of the positions, not individual families (those are the endorsement tests, which require certification before you take). So, study what Sho suggests:

If you take a look at the definitions of the levels of certification, they're all focussed on sanctioned play.

You should expect to be required to know how to fill out the portions of the statsbook that are required for sanctioned play.  If you take a look at the read me tab of the statsbook it describes which of the tabs are required and which are optional.  (They're all color coded to make it easier to identify them)

The statsbook is here:
http://wftda.com/stats

Otherwise if you go to the officiating site of WFTDA:
http://wftda.com/officiating

It has information on certification as well as good documents to know like standard practices, hand signals,  and verbal cues.
WFTDA-certified referee, level 2
Zebra Huddle moderator

Offline Stella Artwalk

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 10:38:26 pm »
ShoNuff.. and Nick Bergus...I appreciate the referral to the WFTDA stats page.  I have been using the PDF file, but it only includes printer-friendly pages of the forms.  I do not have MSOffice to open the STATS WKBK  or the readme portion that details what is required/optional... and the tips on how to use/fill out the forms.  would that breach confidentiality to copy & paste the data to an open source format like this forum?  I really wish WFTDA would place the entirety of all their documents in an open source format. But that is just me.
Cheers!

Offline theMadStatter

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:48:16 pm »
OpenOffice (free, cross-platform) will open the current stats book (though the magic formatting of improper skater numbers doesn’t work, everything else seems to work fine as near as I’ve seen).

I believe LibreOffice (also free, cross-platform) also works as well.

Offline Stella Artwalk

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 11:32:37 pm »
MadHatter, how do you make that work?  I have OpenOffice, but when I try to open or save the statsbook, it only gives me the option of saving in office- which I have but a very very old version that is incompatible. Please forgive my technological clumsiness ~Stella

Offline Vanilla VICE

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 6
  • SC&L
  • League Affiliation: Muscogee Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 11:50:34 pm »
OpenOffice does that. It tries to get you to save the file in the Open Office format. I decline the option to leave the file as an excel file.
Muscogee Roller Girls: Columbus, GA
FlatTrackStats Mod

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 01:20:58 am »
MadHatter, how do you make that work?  I have OpenOffice, but when I try to open or save the statsbook, it only gives me the option of saving in office- which I have but a very very old version that is incompatible. Please forgive my technological clumsiness ~Stella

Hi Stella,

OO is no longer being developed, hasn't been for some time, and is a far bit off now. We recommend that you use LibreOffice (an open-source fork from OO) instead. LO version 4.2.x or newer should provide better results.

First time you open the StatsBook file may take a while. Go make a good cuppa, and then wait for it to finish.

You also will want to try entering data into the StatsBook, to see what happens when you follow the Read Me for the 'required' sheets. It will help you understand how that beastie works, which will inform your future attempts at the Hellahard.
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3924
Views: 6406
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2549
Views: 5261
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2743
Views: 5873
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3535
Views: 5869
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman