Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 26, 2019, 06:01:48 pm

Author Topic: 3 person OPR rotation  (Read 7908 times)

Offline Joker

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Fog City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
3 person OPR rotation
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:47 pm »
I've been looking around to see if this has been mentioned but couldn't find anything definitive.
WFTDA recommends the Fluid half-lap (aka “Skate and Wait”)  for a 3 person OPR rotation, however in our league we've been going with, what we call, a "suicide rotation". All eyes on the pack at all times. A set front pack, middle pack, and rear pack OPR that all stay on the pack.
In our view, this keeps the ref focus entirely on the players without splitting the focus.
I would be interested in any opinions, pros/cons, other refs may have on this.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
Re: 3 person OPR rotation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:14:32 pm »
I wouldn't do this for any level of referee. No matter what your skating abilities and your officiating abilities, I'm confident none of the three outside pack referees will be as effective as if they were doing fluid OPR.

Keeping up with the pack the entire game results in focusing more on just keeping up than actually reffing. Endurance is a real issue, even for the most skilled skaters.

If you are doing fluid OPR correctly, you are never not watching the pack. While you are getting back into position for your next rotation, you should be watching the pack the entire time. That way you have the context of what is going on in the pack. Also, it will help you determine how quickly you will need to get back to your starting position.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Major Puddles

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »
From what I've observed, The WFTDTA standard is designed as a system achievable by all leagues, with skaters of varying level of abilities. I don't necessarily think they're saying it's the BEST way to do it, just the most consistent between leagues. Is you're system better? At first glance, I would say yes. Is it more demanding on the OPR's in terms of fitness, stamina and speed. Hell yes. Would it be achievable for leagues with Officials who are learning, or not experienced skaters? I would say not. And that's why we have a standard.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:19:32 pm »
In this particular case, I would say that fluid OPR IS the best way. I've tried many over the years. There are some rotations that worked better given a totally different style of play. Fluid OPR is more flexible and works for every style of play I've seen.

That is not to say that there aren't things that work better, but those things are minor tweaks to the fluid OPR rotation.

Offline Major Puddles

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:27:23 pm »
Oh, and further to what Major Wood wrote, Skate and Wait is often done a diservice as a number of ref's think that the "wait" part is a little timeout for them. As Wood says, you are always watching the pack. Either approaching you, or as they're skating away. Skate and wait done badly is 2 or sometimes only 1 ref on the pack, skate and wait done right is 3.

Offline Joker

• League Affiliation: Fog City Rollers
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:59 am »
I see what you mean. I guess we've been lucky to get strong skating refs. Although having done both OPR and JR, I've found JR requiring more endurance.But I understand WFTDA's recommendations.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 02:04:46 am »
I see what you mean. I guess we've been lucky to get strong skating refs. Although having done both OPR and JR, I've found JR requiring more endurance.But I understand WFTDA's recommendations.

Keep in mind, I say this as an extremely strong skater. I can do it, but I definitely notice a difference in how effective I am.

Also, at higher levels, it's just not possible. I've had high level games where it was all I could do to keep up even for short periods of time.

Offline Numb3r Crunch3r

• Stats Sheet: 13
  • League Affiliation: Sun State Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 02:11:55 am »

Keep in mind, I say this as an extremely strong skater. I can do it, but I definitely notice a difference in how effective I am.

Also, at higher levels, it's just not possible. I've had high level games where it was all I could do to keep up even for short periods of time.

Yep. When a top 10, or even top 60 WFTDA team decides to 'RUN!' then you'd best be on your horse or you're a bit screwed...

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:06:49 pm »
This system has been tried before and found to be lacking. It's not just a matter of skating skills. For one 3 OPRs on the pack is too much, they just end up getting in each others way. I don't ever want all three bunched up. Using non-standard methods also precluces visiting referees from participating and makes things more difficult. Also worth noting is that the OPR's track is about 100 feet longer than the pack's. I can skate an 8 second lap, a pack can easily average 10 to 11 second laps and go as fast as 7 second laps. In order to keep up I'd have to be able to skate 5 second laps. So even if I could keep up I'd have to be down low in speed skater form in a full sprint just to maintain. Turning my head toward the pack, watching for penalties, positioning myself to see specific actions and accelerating to catch up to a jammer if I've called a penalty just isn't going to happen. I've heard 'but I can do it' before, but you can't. Keeping up is possible, being an effective referee at the same time isn't.

Maybe a track star who's sporting 10 gold medals can do it, but where are you going to get the other 2 OPRs?

Offline Tiger Woody

• League Affiliation: Fairbank Roller Girls
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 11:09:55 pm »
Sometimes it seems that OPR's can keep up because of slow play or excessive power jams, but then the pack speeds up and the OPR who should've been "waiting" isn't there and it's total confusion on the outside and we all look bad! We practice skate and wait and like everyone said, you should always be watching the pack even if you're going back to your spot.
FORE!

Offline PackMan

• Stats Sheet: 11
  • League Affiliation: Little City Roller Girls / Appalachian Roller Girls
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:20 am »
All this talk about "skate and wait" makes me nervous.  Please remember that's just a name, and there is no literal waiting.  That's why the term Fluid Half Lap is used.  It is a more accurate description.

Offline Tiger Woody

• League Affiliation: Fairbank Roller Girls
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 07:00:55 am »
All this talk about "skate and wait" makes me nervous.  Please remember that's just a name, and there is no literal waiting.  That's why the term Fluid Half Lap is used.  It is a more accurate description.

I will never say that again!

[rule]Fluid Half‐Lap OPR: Three skating Outside Pack Referees 
provides for the referees to maintain a constant eye on the 
pack and consistent coverage[/rule]
FORE!

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 01:20:37 am »

Depending on my audience, I'll call it "skate and wait and overshoot."  I've found that calling it "Fluid OPR" can result in the uninitiated to just try to skate around constantly similar to what was described in the OP.  I haven't used the term "Fluid Half-Lap OPR" but I like the subtle framing it provides. 

The only thing that I'd add to what Seer and Wood have already said is that I really value the perspective of an OPR watching a pack approach.  I think it gives them a critical viewing angle of the action that is just not possible to consistently achieve any other way than a half-lap approach.  I do not think that simply being in front of the pack and looking back is sufficient.  I think that would likely cause some critical information that should be in an OPR's central or focal vision to be in their peripheral vision. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:06:39 pm by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline The Sharmanator

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls / Cincinnati Battering Rams
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 03:07:43 am »
Would someone provide the Fluid Half Lap link here?  I can't seem to find it on WFTDA.com

Offline Vanilla VICE

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 6
  • SC&L
  • League Affiliation: Muscogee Roller Girls
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 03:12:52 am »
Would someone provide the Fluid Half Lap link here?  I can't seem to find it on WFTDA.com

http://wftda.com/rules/wftda-officiating-standardized-practices.pdf
Muscogee Roller Girls: Columbus, GA
FlatTrackStats Mod

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4477
Views: 7535
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2991
Views: 6105
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3190
Views: 7032
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 4000
Views: 9049
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman