Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by Vanilla VICE
April 14, 2019, 07:46:55 pm

Clamping down with the upper arm by rogrant
April 08, 2019, 09:25:34 pm

Re: 5 blocker points by bmd (2113)
March 21, 2019, 05:58:08 pm

Author Topic: Penalty box timers sitting or standing  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Tiger Woody

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Fairbank Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Penalty box timers sitting or standing
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:23 pm »
Can anyone direct me to any standard practice where the penalty box timer is required to stand rather than sit while timing?
The only reference I can find is on the new standard practice document:
[rule]PENALTY BOX OFFICIALS
• Penalty Box Timers (PBT) and the Penalty Box Manager (PBM) should not sit or stand in any location in which they may be confused with a skater serving a penalty.[/rule]

I noticed while watching several games, most recently the Wild West Showdown, they are standing. We have some discussion as to what is correct.
FORE!

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Re: Penalty box timers sitting or standing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 06:59:41 pm »
There is no Standard Practice requiring one over the other, because venue differences may force a particular position, and because of differences among staff personnel. So either is permitted in the Standard Practices.

At WFTDA Tournaments (Regionals & Champs, now Playoffs & Champs), the expectation is Penalty Box staff will be standing. It makes it easier to quickly glance up to see that they are at their stations, and easier to notice they are not skaters serving a penalty ("Oh, looka, person wearing fashionable pink polo shirt, must not be skater.")

Many WFTDA multi-day events (Wild West Showdown, Dust Devil, Big O, Beach Brawl, Spring Roll, Brewhaha, ECDX, Golden Bowl,  ....) may also request standing box staff, since it's what happens at Tournaments.

I have seen sitting accommodations made for staff people who have injuries or conditions where standing may be problematic.

I have also worked Sanctioned bouts where the box staff had chairs.
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Charles Dickins

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • NHRDHNSO
  • League Affiliation: New Hampshire Roller Derby
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:06:59 pm »
^ What he said.

When I am PBM, I ask if anyone has any physical impairments that require seating. (Hopefully such questions were asked during rostering and the person was placed somewhere more appropriate like scorekeeping.) If no one has a need to sit, I request that the entire box staff stand, both for their safety and for the benefit of the skaters. A skater may receive a misconduct if an NSO has to step out of the way when she comes in too hot, but a seated NSO who can't move and is impacted will lead to an expulsion. While yes, it is the skater's responsibility to manage her approach into the box, I'd rather put in that little extra effort to avoid such scenarios when possible. (Especially once you hear the stories of an NSO getting a broken leg from impact with a chair.)
Charles Dickins
NHRD - HNSO

Offline bjmacke

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:29:55 am »
(Hopefully such questions were asked during rostering and the person was placed somewhere more appropriate like scorekeeping.)

This... felt bad. I think it's the word "appropriate". Shifting people who have physical impairments and recognized disabilities to positions that are "more appropriate" is really not a place we want to go. 

If someone is in a wheelchair and an awesome box timer - you had better evaluate them on their performance as a timer and not based on their inability to stand for the duration of the game. Relegating them to positions they might not be as good at is a disservice to the volunteer as well as the skaters.
also known as Apron, if you didn't know already.

Offline derby medic

• League Affiliation: River City Rollergirls
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:42:31 am »
At a tournament called Beat Me Halfway, one of my good friends got some practice as an opr. He was doing very well at keeping pace and making correct calls.  He is bound to a wheelchair as well, but that will never stop him from trying to live the zebra dream.
I propose the preposterous to promote and propagate pragmatism.

Offline Charles Dickins

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • NHRDHNSO
  • League Affiliation: New Hampshire Roller Derby
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:11:46 am »
(Hopefully such questions were asked during rostering and the person was placed somewhere more appropriate like scorekeeping.)

This... felt bad. I think it's the word "appropriate". Shifting people who have physical impairments and recognized disabilities to positions that are "more appropriate" is really not a place we want to go. 

If someone is in a wheelchair and an awesome box timer - you had better evaluate them on their performance as a timer and not based on their inability to stand for the duration of the game. Relegating them to positions they might not be as good at is a disservice to the volunteer as well as the skaters.

I wasn't thinking of a wheelchair, actually, although I can see how it can be taken that way. I was thinking of someone in a cast, which we encounter much more often in derby. No offense meant.
Charles Dickins
NHRD - HNSO

Offline Traffic Jam

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:32:22 pm »
Our HNSO requires the penalty staff to stand when timing a skater or a skater is headed to the box otherwise being seated is not a issue. Refs like the arrangement, at a glance a ref can make a quick decision with a standing PBT.

Offline ShoNuff

• Stats Sheet: 29
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 4
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:43:47 pm »
I am uncomfortable with seated timers if there is not a wall between the box staff and the chairs.

The one exception I've seen is Bleeding Heartland where the penalty box is a church pew and does a fine job of acting as a wall as well as seats.

The penalty vs expulsion aspect really isn't what causes me to have this concern.  I want timers to be able to move if they need to move to be safe.  I've seen skaters trip on a surface change at the edge of a box, underestimate how easily the chairs could be moved and get hit on the way to the box because their penalty was called right in front of it and they were engaged as they were leaving the track.

All of these can lead even a careful skater to unexpectedly be entering the box in a less than controlled fashion.  A timer who is standing can move and be safe.  A timer who is seated has substantially less ability to protect themself.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3121
Views: 4912
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2224
Views: 4603
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2389
Views: 5130
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3173
Views: 5162
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman