Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Author Topic: Self-destructing wheel?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Brad Religion

• Stats Sheet: 7
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Self-destructing wheel?
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:41:10 pm »
So, I HR'd a scrimmage yesterday. Early on, I noticed a large piece of black plastic on the track. I hobbled out and snagged it before the pack came back around, so I let the jam continue.

Upon the jam's conclusion, I checked the debris, only to discover that it was a large piece of a skate wheel... Perhaps half a wheel across, and about a half-inch thick. I called a time out and had all the skaters with black wheels check their stuff.

Now, I'm new at this. I've never seen a wheel just fall apart like this, and no one else did either. We found the culprit and I suggested she change the wheels before she got back on the track. In retrospect, I should have insisted, because she didn't. Later on - several jams, a few more (much smaller) pieces caused someone to fall, at which point I DID remove the girl from the rest of the scrimmage.

So, don't make my mistake. At the first sign of this sort of thing, I'm sending the person in question off and I'll double check her for different wheels before I let her back on the track.

Anyone else ever see a three-month-old set of $130 wheels disintegrate right before their eyes? ???
Bleeding Heartland Roller Girls
Bloomington, IN

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Re: Self-destructing wheel?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:51:07 pm »
Kinda. I'm not certain about the exact cost or age of the wheels, but a skater's wheel with a plastic hub began shedding pieces on the track one scrimmage. We had a hard time identifying the source of the odd shaped pieces, and even had an equipment self-check called for, which didn't turn up the offending wheel.

It finally revealed itself after it had shed so much plastic, that it began thumping during rotation.

In drills where there is a lot of jumping, plastic hubs can be deformed or otherwise damaged.

I'll defer to @DayGlo to comment on the performance of metal hubs, since I'm still sporting my Fugis with plastic hubs.
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline DayGlo Divine

• Stats Sheet: 39
  • Fighter of the Night Man, Champion of the Sun
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:05:42 pm »
Kinda. I'm not certain about the exact cost or age of the wheels, but a skater's wheel with a plastic hub began shedding pieces on the track one scrimmage. We had a hard time identifying the source of the odd shaped pieces, and even had an equipment self-check called for, which didn't turn up the offending wheel.

It finally revealed itself after it had shed so much plastic, that it began thumping during rotation.

In drills where there is a lot of jumping, plastic hubs can be deformed or otherwise damaged.

I'll defer to @DayGlo to comment on the performance of metal hubs, since I'm still sporting my Fugis with plastic hubs.

I'm personally not a fan of plastic-hubbed wheels except on rough surfaces and outdoors, but that's more a matter of personal preference than anything else. Other than Sure-Grip Fugitives, which are known to have hub separation issues (as in, the urethane actually comes off the hub), they're no more or less durable than anything else out there. I've seen a couple pictures of plastic-hubbed wheels where one of the spokes snapped, but I suspect that was more an issue of abuse from the person skating on them than anything defective about the wheels themselves.

Getting back to this particular case, what kind of wheels did the skater have, and where has she used them? If the answer is "outdoors," that's a big no-no with indoor wheels. They're a lot harder than outdoor wheels, and they're not going to "give" going over bnumps and cracks.
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline Brad Religion

• Stats Sheet: 7
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:18:22 pm »
I don't know anything about the wheels... They belonged to one of the visiting skaters. She did say she was going to contact the manufacturer, though. This wasn't a matter of the wheel separating from the (alloy in this case) hub - the wheel literally fell apart.
Bleeding Heartland Roller Girls
Bloomington, IN

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:39:58 am »
did the wheel have "speed grooves"... the deep grooves found on speed rays and vdrives?

ive seen a few wheels split along the groove
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3347
Views: 5468
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2438
Views: 5041
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2596
Views: 5651
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3381
Views: 5612
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman