Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 26, 2019, 06:01:48 pm

Author Topic: Referee as a president?  (Read 2802 times)

Offline 2nd skin

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Rotterdam Roller Derby
Referee as a president?
« on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:47 am »
Hello all!

I couldn't find a topic concerning referees as a president. But if so, please drop me a link.

I've been president for my league for almost two years now. After a long period of injuries I started playing again for our B-team. Unfortunately I feel that my body can't cope with playing derby actively anymore. Since I love derby, I decided to become a referee next season.

And here starts the concern. A referee should be neutral of course. Although I know I can stay neutral and will not let my other role as a president will influence the way I look at the games and will call penalties, I can imaging other leagues will look differently into this.

Since I love to skate I do want to have a rolling part in roller derby. but I would feel sad if I couldn't support my league anymore by being a president.

A penny for your thoughts ;)

Offline Stray Taco

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Derby / Athens Ohio Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Referee as a president?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:59:02 am »
I'm our league's treasurer and head referee. Other than time commitments with having 2 significant league roles, I haven't had any issues.  In derby, most refs are part of leagues and that's known.  Of course YMMV, but for us it's worked out well. A couple things I do to make sure there's not an issue when I put my stripes on:

1. I make it clear that I'm a member of the league, but not of the team. My role is not to help the team win, but to make sure they have a safe, legal game.
2. I never coach skaters at practices.  I provide rules interpretation, but don't go into any details as far as what you "should do", only what you would get a penalty for.
3. Refs participate in skill drills at practice, except hitting drills and scrimmage drills. I've done a couple hitting drills as a target for fresh meat to help with our requirement to be able to take a light hit, but that's it for hitting stuff.
4. On game day, I'm a zebra through and through. I've carried merch in my Jeep, but then I drop it off and go hang with the refs. I don't hang with the team.

HTH.
Mike "Stray Taco" Straw

I know some things, but there's a lot more I don't know.

Offline 2nd skin

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Rotterdam Roller Derby
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 02:59:38 pm »
Thanks Straw, for your quick reply!

Offline Charles Dickins

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • NHRDHNSO
  • League Affiliation: New Hampshire Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 03:11:54 pm »
Referee on the track = neutral official
Referee off the track = league member
Charles Dickins
NHRD - HNSO

Offline Rev. Riot

• Stats Sheet: 32
  • Anything needed gettin' done.
  • League Affiliation: Gotham
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:18:37 pm »
It depends what you want to referee though.

I don't think it's crazy to think that teams from other leagues might be concerned about the President of the League having a bias favoring their league. The President has a lot of concerns. We sell more merch when we win. When we win or have close bouts we sell more tickets next time. That skater is retiring after this bout, it would be a shame to expel her.

So it's a concern. Sure.

If you're at this point going to be focused on home league bouts, then it shouldn't be an issue, you're neutral as the President (hopefully), you're neutral as an official. The more you spread out, the more it might be a problem, be up front, explain your credentials, impress upon them how there's a HR to oversee your calls and a method for which they can address any perceived bias, etc. Tell them before the day of the bout. It doesn't rule out your involvement, but you're right to prepare for others being concerned.
Matthew Mantsch - Reverend Riot
WFTDA Rules Theory Committee
Gotham Girls Roller Derby - NYC

Offline Kabong

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: DC Rollergirls
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:22:11 pm »
[rule]From the Officiating Code of Conduct:

Officials shall disclose to persons in authority (i.e., to Crew and/or Tournament Head Referees/Head NSOs) any
conflict of interest which may result in accusations of bias. Disclosure alone shall not result in sanctions from
either WFTDA Grievances or Referee / NSO Certification.[/rule]

http://wftda.com/officiating/wftda-officiating-code-of-conduct.pdf

I was directed here by the wise and wonderful FN when I asked a similar question. I'm a chartered skater for our league and one of the B team captains, but when I don't make eligibility, I ref our games (with the consent of the bout HR and anyone she/he deems it necessary to inform. Honestly, most home bouts we play are against leagues that already know who I am because I'm usually rostered). When in doubt, full disclosure of any potential perceived biases. If you feel you cannot call unbiased, remove yourself. It should play out in the course of the game. If you're calling unfairly, hopefully people around you will notice. The last home game I reffed, there were a couple of complaints about refs. I was not one of them. Most refs are associated with leagues. Don't stop yourself from pursuing officiating because you're doing other great things.

Edit: And I'm very much one for not hugging/high-fiving skaters when I'm in stripes. No need to be a d-bag, but no "Good luck," no listening to trash talk. Remove yourself. Don't warm up with skaters. I try to not be around participating skaters while in stripes or in the venue before equipment check.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:29:28 pm by Kabong »
Kabong
Skating Official/Skater

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4460
Views: 7504
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2977
Views: 6086
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3179
Views: 7009
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3989
Views: 9035
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman