ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Re: Yielding to the opposite side of the track by Bluebeard
April 22, 2019, 07:21:28 pm

Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Author Topic: CRG Scoreboard - What Policies Do You Use?  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
CRG Scoreboard - What Policies Do You Use?
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:55:43 pm »
Some of the volunteer developers of the open-source CRG Scoreboard software are soliciting feedback for a simplification of the Policies tab:

Which Policies do you actually change? That is, which Policies would you miss if the default settings were locked in?

Offline daveInci

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Rocky Mountain Rollergirls
Re: CRG Scoreboard - What Policies Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 04:26:25 pm »
I *just* started learning (read: teaching myself) how to run the scoreboard. The options I changed right away were the ones related to auto-incrementing the jam number, automatically starting the jam after the 30 seconds, auto-ending the jam at 2 minutes -- that stuff (sorry, I may not be remembering the exact settings).

Is there a reason those aren't the defaults? Seems good to eliminate the possibility of human error where possible, no?

Offline Megapickle

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 01:41:16 am »
Dave - Not sure what you mean by "incrementing the jam number" or "auto-ending the jam". Please clarify with actual policy names & the changes you make from default.

And conjecture: "Lineup Clock Starts Jam" isn't enabled by default because I think most folks prioritize syncing it with the actual jam-start whistle. In the case of [collective] human error, with extenuating circumstances causing a short delay in starting the next jam, if the jam clock were already running, you'd end up with a <2-minute jam. (Yeah yeah, rolling any more than 30 sec between jams is technically against the rules and an OTO should be taken whenever the next jam can't get started exactly on time, but in reality, it's sometimes preferable to fudge the jam-start a couple seconds for the sake of "game flow".)

That said, don't expect "Lineup Clock Starts Jam" to be deleted, since it's already been mentioned several times on the devs forum. It definitely has value.

Offline daveInci

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Rocky Mountain Rollergirls
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:00:25 pm »
I think I meant...

Jam Clock Controls Lineup Clock -- this one starts the lineup clock when a jam hits 2 minutes, right? (But I suppose the logic for not enabling this is the same as what you mentioned above -- if the jam timer messes up, it's only more confusing if the lineup clock is going while the jam is still on, right?)

...and then I guess "Lineup Clock Resets Jam Time" covers the other two things I was talking about. For some reason, I was thinking that without this set, you had to increment the jam number manually. But playing with it now, that doesn't appear to be the case.

* Disclaimer: I am not a scoreboard operator. Just trying to learn all the details so I can help train people to do it. :)

Offline Megapickle

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:37 pm »
Jam Clock Controls Lineup Clock -- this one starts the lineup clock when a jam hits 2 minutes, right? (But I suppose the logic for not enabling this is the same as what you mentioned above -- if the jam timer messes up, it's only more confusing if the lineup clock is going while the jam is still on, right?)

This is enabled by default, and I've never heard of anyone disabling it. It's the type of option that very well may be deleted.

And no, the logic is different here because strategies regularly revolve around the timing of the jam-end (meaning the board's jam clock must be honored), whereas they're (virtually) never based on the jam-start. That is: Say the jam accidentally lasts for 2:20, and the board shows :20 on the lineup clock at that point. Realistically, nobody's going to expect the teams to line up in 10 seconds, and the teams won't behave/strategize as if they need to. The obvious way most everyone will cope with that error is simply to improvise: "Five seconds" will be called at :45, and the jam-start will be at :50. Easy-peasy.

Sure, it may be mildly confusing to see a Lineup clock rolling during a jam, but that extremely rare situation is far preferable over the unworkable alternative of manually stopping/resetting/starting the Lineup clock every single time.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3173
Views: 5013
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2272
Views: 4681
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2427
Views: 5211
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3214
Views: 5227
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman