Clamping down with the upper arm by rogrant
April 08, 2019, 09:25:34 pm

Re: 5 blocker points by bmd (2113)
March 21, 2019, 05:58:08 pm

5 blocker points by Hagar
March 16, 2019, 10:06:32 am

Ohio Roller Derby Home Season by Stray Taco
January 04, 2019, 10:12:22 pm

Cincinnati Rollergirls 2019 Home Season by bmd (2113)
December 11, 2018, 05:06:50 pm

Re: 4.1.1 Intiator of Illegal Target Zone by AdamSmasher
November 15, 2018, 01:32:07 pm

Re: Intentionally not reporting to the penalty box and return to the track by AdamSmasher
November 15, 2018, 01:23:11 pm

Author Topic: Am I being too much of a hardarse in "fun" games?  (Read 4893 times)

Offline 1600-DOCTORB

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Newcastle Roller Derby League
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Am I being too much of a hardarse in "fun" games?
« on: October 19, 2014, 05:23:29 am »
I've recently NSO'd at some lower level intraleague & "mishmash" games (with a collection of players from all over), and been quite frustrated at a few things, wondering if I'm being too sensitive (highly likely). For reference, I only have a year of experience under my belt but have worked 2 tournaments.

One game officials turned up wearing whatever, including league shirts, and the HNSO (sort of? he said since their league HNSO was away he "guessed" he was Head) was wearing a blue basketball shirt. It certainly wasn't a WFTDA reg game but I feel you should still dress neutrally & appropriately.

Another was staffed with a VERY junior crew, that I don't think has a huge opportunity to scrimmage. Even so, I would expect officials to have read an NSO manual that clearly states what the standard is for things like verbal cues in the PB, and how to set up a box. I had to get my stern mum voice on several times, even with things like "don't talk to the skaters when they're in the box even though you're friends".

I guess in my mind you should still conduct yourself as though this is a sanctioned bout, even when it's basically for fun. Am I wrong? Should I just calm my farm?

Offline Bishop

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Unaffiliated
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
Re: Am I being too much of a hardarse in "fun" games?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:28:23 pm »
A couple thoughts came to mind when I read your post. The first was that sometimes it's best to lead by example and leave it at that. Do your job and let your ability and professionalism speak for itself. And honestly, potentially coming across as judgmental isn't likely to be very well received and could be perceived as a lack of professionalism in its own right.

I have worked with newer leagues and leagues that were new to membership. Whenever I felt the need to say something, it was done after the fact as constructive criticism. The feedback was limited to topics I thought would benefit them in helping them towards whatever their goals might be. This was done after establishing rapport or some level of working relationship.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:31:13 pm by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline watzé

• League Affiliation: Paris Rollergirls
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:50:56 pm »
It's remember me a lot of stuff :)

For me I like the sentence: "Training as you play"

That's mean, don't care if you are in a scrimmage, a training in your league or in the final of the playoff, you always work at the top of you can with the professionalism and neutrality.

It will be good for you because you can see what you need to work before a big event and it will good for the other official and skater because they won't be lost and be prepare when the big event come.

Of course, we are human and we need to laugh and be fun sometimes but the best way you can help the sport and the player it's to be good and a good official he's invisible.

If you want, you can read the code of conduct and the standard practice of the WFTDA:
- http://wftda.com/officiating/wftda-officiating-code-of-conduct.pdf
- http://wftda.com/rules/wftda-officiating-standardized-practices.pdf
Watzé

Paris rollergirls
Watzegaga@gmail.com

Offline Stanarchy

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: New Jersey Roller Derby
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »
One thing to keep in mind is that these people are volunteers - they voluntarily give up their time to come out and help the league for free.  Being too strict or too demanding can turn them away and you will never see them again. At the same time - the ultimate goal is certainly for everyone to treat a scrimmage as seriously and professionally as you'd expect at a sanctioned game.

The key is to find balance between showing appreciation for the fact that they showed up to help at all and providing constructive criticism for future improvement, gradually and in order of importance, such as :
- Feedback on specifics of officiating that actually affect gameplay (releasing the player from the box too early or too late)
- Feedback on standards and practices that should be followed but do not necessarily hav an IMMEDITE impact on the game (e.g. proper verbal cues)
- Feedback on anything else (uniforms, chatting with players in the box, etc.)

Make the folks feel like they are doing a good job and just need a bit of improvrment here and there... as opposed to making them feel that they did just about everything wrong (even if that's exactly what happened).

(P.S. Personally, I am a lot better at describing what should be done then actually doing it... so that's MY improvement item :) )

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:42:04 pm »
Personally, I don't like that approach.
I'm more relaxed about appearance and even a little bit of conduct during scrimmages. That said, I expect it to be taken seriously, like in a game. The way I give feedback isn't really different, though I may focus more on giving feedback during a scrimmage than in a game. I give feedback as I see fit, good, bad, or indifferent. I don't like to sugar coat feedback or give false impressions. I don't think making someone feel like they did a good job helps anyone if they aren't doing a good job, quite the opposite, actually.
I do thank people for coming and I often let people know in advance how to expect feedback from me. If they can't handle it, I don't believe they can handle officiating games at the level I am trying to prepare them for.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline 1600-DOCTORB

• League Affiliation: Newcastle Roller Derby League
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:21:00 am »
Thank you everyone! I think I need to take a breath and calm down.

Just to clarify, these were games, not scrimmage. I'm definitely VERY relaxed at scrimmage and tell everyone "don't worry if you fuck up, this is the place to make mistakes". And I don't care what you come dressed in, I'm just happy you're there!

Offline Germaine of Thrones

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Florida
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 11:53:28 am »
No, I don't think you are being a hardarse. I've been in your situation, and I feel that loosening your professionalism during a "fun" game can lead into you developing a unprofessional habit when you are doing the sanc/reg games. Though you may have it under control better than me, I wouldn't know. I had to stop doing "fun" games to develop better/professional habits because my ultimate goal is to do more tournaments and maybe even Champs one day (A boy can dream). At times when I brought more experienced and certified officials to those kind of games, the other nso's (typically non-playing skaters filling in positions) claimed they were too hard on them (or called them assholes) and I ultimately had to side with the "assholes" because they're better than me and I trust in their abilities.

Scrimmages are a whole different story, but even then, don't be too relaxed.

However, when it comes to shirts, I am willing to be more lenient and go with black. That's what I always wore during those kind of games. I dont really care for the pink, but I'll wear it when required/that league gives me a loaner.

Offline Kim Tonkin

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • formerly known as "K.Ossenmeihem"
  • League Affiliation: Victorian Roller Derby League
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 11:17:55 am »
This reminds me of the first time I was plucked from the crowd and asked to volunteer as an Outside Whiteboard NSO - had to wear my t-shirt inside out as it had a team logo on the front!

If professional image is a concern, perhaps some options for future games should be considered:

Pre-game briefing email - outlining what attire is acceptable.

NSO shirts-to-borrow - first come, first serve basis.

Kim Tonkin
Volunteer Official - Victorian Roller Derby League

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 02:11:24 pm »
Pre-game briefing email - outlining what attire is acceptable.

If you aren't doing this already, start! It should have a lot more information than just attire (schedule, positions, skating surface, special venue concerns, etc)
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3073
Views: 4799
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2180
Views: 4506
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2347
Views: 5037
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3133
Views: 5080
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman