Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Author Topic: Becoming a certified NSO  (Read 4484 times)

Offline JeneralPain

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: South Sea Roller Derby (Melbourne, Australia)
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Becoming a certified NSO
« on: January 04, 2015, 11:38:30 am »
So Hey!

I found this after doing a whole bunch of searching on "hellahard". So I'll give you a little bit about me to help you understand me!

I'm a simple freshie, I've been skating for 7 months and am only half way to minimum skills (but my league is happy for me to take my time developing my skate skills as literally before I started, I was inactive, mistreating body with junk food and no exercise).

So I decided I'd find ways to immerse myself into derby... I saw "Whip It" after starting with my league...

I've done the following roles in Scrimmage:
- Jam Timer
- Wrangler
- Penalty Tracker
- Inside Whiteboard
- Penalty Timer
- Penalty Box Manager (not as much as I should)
- Score Keeper

The only thing I haven't done is line up tracking. I have done a couple of home game bouts with my league, mostly as Scoreboard Operator (because I'm a tech geek), I've done other roles outside scrimmage with our "Family and Friends" scrimmage (which is a public game for our league's lower levels).

I'm pretty comfortable with the inside roles, and tend to prefer JT & WR... WR also gives you a good cardio workout when the pack is moving quickly as I tend to stay out of the ref lane but follow the head ref so I can hear and communicate penalities properly.

What do you think is a good path to start the whole certification process? Because I'm not quite a skating superstar YET... so I want to put in where I can!

Thanks for your advice!

Jeneral Pain (Jen)
formerly MsMegahurtz

Offline Riff Reff

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 30
  • League Affiliation: Dublin Roller Derby
Re: Becoming a certified NSO
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:43:14 pm »
I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, BUT...

Certification is not a minimum skills test nor a requirement to work as an official at all. It is an achievement you unlock after putting in effort and after you have proven a certain standard of performance. I always went by something a great official once said to me: "Don't try to be a certified official, work on being an official that is worth being certified." Don't look for the fast track, be as good as you can and the rest will sort itself when it's time.

So what does that mean? Work bouts, more bouts and even more bouts. Ask for feedback, use it and improve. To be really blunt: as long as you are still counting scrimmages, you're not there yet. When you think you are sound in several NSO positions, start collecting (or hunting for) evals. Once you have more than enough evals (the more the better). You can think about applying for cert.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:46:06 pm by Riff Reff »
Don't look at the game with rules-tinted glasses; look at the rules with game-tinted glasses!

Offline Samuel Bergus

• League Affiliation: Old Capitol City Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 06:38:47 pm »
I would second what Riff Reff said, the first step is to work derby. Work games for your affiliated leagues, work games for leagues in the surrounding area, and work games which require a bit more travel as a means to work with a wide range or people.

Every official has strengths and weaknesses, and things they tend to focus on more than others. By working with a large number of different officials, you get exposed to different styles and advice on how to approach each position.

One other thing I would advise you to do, seek out certified NSOs in Australia (there are a few) to help mentor you and to answer questions along your way.

Offline Germaine of Thrones

• League Affiliation: Florida
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 08:09:51 pm »
Please keep in mind, the "Hellahard" is dedicated towards sanctioned play. So I would recommend to try to do more sanctioned/regulation games to better prepare for the test.

Offline Momo - Record Breaker

• League Affiliation: Army of Darkness / Copenhagen Roller Derby
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:38:19 pm »
Also... think about why you'd like to be certified...

It can help you open some doors, especially to big international tournaments, but that's not so much the patches as the experience they signify that does that.
 if you mainly want to NSO games in your own area, I'm sure most leagues will absolutely love a dedicated, talented NSO without certification as well.

But if you want to go for certification (and by all means; you should do it if you want to!), there's one basic thing you should remember - and something that people always seem to forget when talking about preperation. 
Do all the different positions, in games (bouts whatevs), especially the ones with paperwork. Do them all, as often as you can and learn from them.
This leads to experience which will make you a good NSO - certification might then become the proof of this experience once you have it... If you don't get certified, this will still make you a kick ass NSO no matter what, and that's the important part.
But you will most likely have passed your minimum skills way before you get to the certification point in your NSO career ;)

Offline 1600-DOCTORB

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Newcastle Roller Derby League
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 12:47:35 pm »
I'm a fairly well experienced NSO in Australia (Newcastle, been NSOing your girls this weekend at Bont!) and certification is something important to me, but it's in no way necessary. I'm at my 3rd tournament, two of which were international, but haven't had the chance to do many regulation games to get certification. But in the meantime, I've been clocking up games & getting to know all the roles and know them WELL.

I sat the "Hellahard" yesterday, and failed (predictably) but not so terribly that I couldn't pass it again if I tried it again soon. But this is after ~50 games (I have to update my refsumé!), and countless scrimmages, plus watching a fair bit of derby. But I'm still a baby in the derby officiating world.

Goblin King from VRDL is L2 certified, and seems open to people outside his league NSOing, as I was able to do a game when I was in Melbourne for a few days.

Offline JeneralPain

• League Affiliation: South Sea Roller Derby (Melbourne, Australia)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:55:32 am »
Thanks guys, I def have a long way to go. I might only be around but I try to do things as many times as I can and thrive on feedback.

The ref's in my league are really good at the end to say "hey, this was awesome, but you missed that" in such a way that it helps me learn which has been totally awesome.

I've actually chatted to Goblin already :P I've asked him if he could do "Evals that aren't evals but treated like evals" in scrimmages so I can understand where I need to improve and what I'm sound with. I'm not gonna stop now that's for sure. Especially just being a freshie skater for nearly a year now on top of NSO'ing. because I'm a bigger girl I'm on a significant handicap thanks to my mistreated body until I started skating.

Cheers

Jen :D

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3368
Views: 5514
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2465
Views: 5066
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2615
Views: 5681
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3394
Views: 5640
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman