January 26, 2020, 08:09:00 pm

Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Rule clarification by 3Beers
December 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm

Re: Resources for new referees. by Destructor
November 29, 2019, 01:13:40 pm

Poll

In your experience, what is the most common error inexperienced NSOs make?

Recording 1 or 2 points upon seeing the Lead Jammer signal
Not stopping the timing of penalties between jams
Not updating the penalty tracking whiteboard in a timely manner
Reporting the score to the scoreboard operator before allowing the jam ref to report points on the final pass
Calling off the jam at the end of the period instead of its natural conclusion
Some other error

Author Topic: Most common NSOs errors.  (Read 20052 times)

All-Nate-Long

Re: Most common NSOs errors.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 05:30:20 pm »
1. The letters on the outside whiteboard always start off to small or un readable...

2.The poor communication or lack of, when penalty tracker reports how many fouls the jammer has at the start of the jam.

3.Lack of communication between outside whiteboards and penalty trackers in the infield.........

4. As a ref i see a large percentage of refs that do not have a power voice, otherwise they are soft spoken. Weather it is a penalty or the ability to clearly and loudly call of the jam with the whistle, that is a huge problem for NSO...

I tend to call the penalty 2-3 times when I pass the trackers, that helps a lot...

I would say that this is the largest problem forr NSO's

All Nate Long

Offline bronco

• Stats Sheet: 9
  • rules and stripes forever!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 10:27:22 pm »
Three good ones here nate ... +1 to you!
1. The letters on the outside whiteboard always start off to small or un readable...

2.The poor communication or lack of, when penalty tracker reports how many fouls the jammer has at the start of the jam.

3.Lack of communication between outside whiteboards and penalty trackers in the infield.........

All Nate Long
... Ref. Bronco

Offline Auntie Bellum

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 09:44:44 pm »

I was guilty of this at the last bout.  It was not the outside whiteboard, but an inside whiteboard added so the teams could see the score at the last minute.  At halftime after I was told it was not readable I went and checked from the bench and corrected until it was easy to read.  I think will try to do this check ahead of time from now on if I have a NSO position that involves a whiteboard.

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 11:15:24 pm »

I was guilty of this at the last bout.  It was not the outside whiteboard, but an inside whiteboard added so the teams could see the score at the last minute.  At halftime after I was told it was not readable I went and checked from the bench and corrected until it was easy to read.  I think will try to do this check ahead of time from now on if I have a NSO position that involves a whiteboard.

A practice I've adopted recently:

When I'm Outside Pack Reffing, and were getting close to starting, I'll skate around and say hi to the outside relays, and ask if they have  any preferences on how we should work together. Often, it's someone's first time, so I warn them how penalties will be arriving to them, and let them know that they should write on the whiteboard with letters as tall as all the knuckles on their fist. Then it'll be easier for the inside folks to read, and give the outside relay the signal that they can erase the penalty.
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Hambone

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 05:34:08 am »
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this comment ...

... but a big error I see frequently is that the "trips to the box" data on the infield doesn't match the "trips to the box" data in the penalty box

I'm a huge fan of having someone in the penalty box simply writing down the uniform numbers of skaters who visit the box as they arrive.

No special form needed - just a clipboard, pen, paper.  Write down the color/number of everyone who arrives.  Jam number is a bonus. 

The fun arrives when you compare notes with the trackers after each half.  Occasionally you'll get some wonderful surprises! 

(Like as in the last bout I worked, where the infield recorded "999" visiting the box and we in the box knew it was "99" who visited.)

Boy it makes skaters mad when the stats show they visited the box more times than they actually visited.  Paperwork in the box = big help.  It doesn't have to be fancy.  Just write down who was there and reconcile with the master penalty tracking sheets.
WFTDA Certified Level 3 ref
Gotham Girls Roller Derby

Offline Pat-E-Rat

• Stats Sheet: 4
  • It's official
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »
I'm a huge fan of having someone in the penalty box simply writing down the uniform numbers of skaters who visit the box as they arrive.

I've been at bouts where, since there was room, the NSOs tracking jam rosters stood behind the penalty box to track the skaters coming in, on what pass and jam, when they left, and on which pass and jam they exited.  It made tracking much easier and accurate.
Pat-E-Rat
Head Ref
River City Rollergirls
Richmond, VA

Offline bronco

• Stats Sheet: 9
  • rules and stripes forever!
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:05 pm »

This is the best way to ensure that a skater with 5 minutes in-the-box does not return to the track before she can be ejected. 

That being said, it can be pretty comical to watch NSOs jumping up and down in the infield shouting "don't let her out, don't let her out!" 

So, bring a piece of paper and a pen to the penalty box :)
... Ref. Bronco

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4612
Views: 8079
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 3100
Views: 6620
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3314
Views: 7595
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 4145
Views: 9601
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman