Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Author Topic: Modified Keyboards for Scoreboard Ops  (Read 7616 times)

Offline bjmacke

• Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota RollerGirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Modified Keyboards for Scoreboard Ops
« on: April 15, 2015, 06:32:28 am »
Modified keyboards seem to be all the rage for scoreboards, but there doesn't seem to be a consistent layout yet. Minnesota will be joining the majority of derby use the Carolina Scoreboard at our next game, and as part of that, we're going to make one of these keyboards for that game. But before we take screwdriver to keycap, it would be nice to hear from folks about best practices and layouts that have worked for people.

Share your layouts and/or photos, and most of all wishes and regrets for what you'd wish the keyboards did. Hopefully, from this thread (and a corresponding one on The Other Board) we can get some good ideas of what would be palatable to the most people.

Thank you!
also known as Apron, if you didn't know already.

Offline AdamSmasher

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 3
  • League Affiliation: Lansing Derby Vixens
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
Re: Modified Keyboards for Scoreboard Ops
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:59:47 pm »
Don't have a picture of mine, but the great thing about CRG scoreboard is that it's flexible - every SO really can have their own keyboard.  It takes all of 60 seconds to plug in your keyboard, log in as a new operator, and define the keys for your keyboard.

Key recommendations:
1.  Have "Undo" commands defined for Jam Start / Jam End / OTO.  There's nothing worse than accidentally ending the jam for a penalty and not being able to quickly pretend nothing happened.  There's two schools of thought I've seen on this: one is to have the "UNDO" command be shift+command.  The other is to have a separate undo button above the command button.

2.  Have the button arrangement more or less mirror the layout on the screen.  It's sort of disorienting if the TO/OR buttons, for example, don't match the sequence you see in front of you.

3.  There's no need for two separate "lost lead" buttons for each team.  (this is something I would change about mine.)  Just make one "no lead" button in the middle, and define it for both teams. (This requires answering an "are you sure?" question.) (NOTE: This may change in future versions and for the interactive overlay view.)

4. Pick an out-of-the-way button and define it to both "start period clock" and "stop timeout clock."  Then remember you have it if there's an OTO in the last thirty seconds.

5.  Do NOT assign any commands to the number buttons or the colon key.  You'll need those.

On a related topic - at this point, I always bring a router and an iPad with me when I SO, because the "Scoreboard Assistant" function of CRG is awesome.  I'll plug the router into the computer (if it's not already networked) and point the iPad at the scoreboard, so that I have a list of the teams visible.  I can select the jammers on the iPad and they show up on the scoreboard, without having to muck with the mouse.  Plus, it averts the fact that while the jammer select window is open, none of the other buttons work.

This is also great if you get stuck in turn 2 when you can't see the jam line - you can hand the iPad to a spotter, and make them enter the jammers for you.  Not only does this help the SO, it helps the SKs as well, since they can get the jammer numbers off your screen.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 07:58:40 pm by AdamSmasher »
I'm better at remembering "Smasher" is me than "Adam."
Rules Colored Glasses - Useful Officiating Stuff

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 03:12:43 pm »
Regarding defining keys...

Please, for the love of all that is holy, if you set your own keys, RESET those keys back to the CRG defaults before you leave your station.

Then the next SO doesn't get unpleasant surprises, causing an OTO at the beginning of a game. Yes, experienced SOs know to check for this. Not everyone who may be pressed into SOing will know or remember to do that, or perhaps they just had misplaced trust that you would do that.

Don't be that SO.
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline AdamSmasher

• Referee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 03:21:10 pm »
Regarding defining keys...

Please, for the love of all that is holy, if you set your own keys, RESET those keys back to the CRG defaults before you leave your station.

Then the next SO doesn't get unpleasant surprises, causing an OTO at the beginning of a game. Yes, experienced SOs know to check for this. Not everyone who may be pressed into SOing will know or remember to do that, or perhaps they just had misplaced trust that you would do that.

Don't be that SO.

Right up front - yes. 100% yes.  Agree completely.

That said - does CRG actually HAVE default keys?  I don't believe it does.  ANY keyboard you plug in has to be defined.  Here's why that's important - CRG has a "log in/log out" function.  Switching keyboards is the *only reason that function exists*. (as far as I know)

So when you walk up to plug in your keyboard, *do not* for the love of all that is holy, (in FN Zebra's words) hit "Edit Key Controls" and then change all the buttons over to your setup.  No! Bad scoreboard operator! No biscuit!

Just log out, log in as a different user, and THEN define a new setup.  Then when you're done, plug the old keyboard back in, and log back in as the previous user.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:25:11 pm by AdamSmasher »

Offline Megapickle

• Stats Sheet: 16
  • League Affiliation: Emerald City Roller Girls & Lane County Concussion
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:09:18 pm »
If there were such thing as a "default" (or even a "common") setup , this thread wouldn't exist -- OP would simply adopt it in his new keyboard.

My take: There exist too many pieces of unique hardware out there for us to now settle on One True Setup, so as long as it meets all the tenets Adam laid out in his first reply, it's golden.

That said, here's a recent thread with examples:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/480408282040949/permalink/771967506218357/

Including my own setup (used on standard keyboards - not custom):
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153026722566271&l=06ea9e6172

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 10:00:59 pm »
That said - does CRG actually HAVE default keys?

Nope.  Default input is assumed to be a mouse.  Any and all keybinds are seen as "optional user-specific input".
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline AdamSmasher

• Referee
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 11:46:39 pm »
That said - does CRG actually HAVE default keys?

Nope.  Default input is assumed to be a mouse.  Any and all keybinds are seen as "optional user-specific input".

That said - DO NOT operate the scoreboard using just the mouse.  I have scorekept for such a person.  It was painful, and the timing was bad.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Crime City Rollers
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 04:42:13 pm »
That said - DO NOT operate the scoreboard using just the mouse.  I have scorekept for such a person.  It was painful, and the timing was bad.

I agree completely, but on the flip side - make sure you have a mouse available, preferably a proper, corded one, in case something goes badly wrong and you need to access more esoteric features.

Offline theMadStatter

• Stats Sheet: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 04:51:01 pm »
Depending on if you are planning on using a laptop or a tower (where this would be the only keyboard accessible), remember that you are going to want to leave the colon key (and number keypad) in place so you can enter times.

Whatever setup you use, always try to account for “fat fingers” and leave blank space between often used and critical to not accidentally used keys.  Nothing worse than trying to set lead and having your fingernail catch the “stop jam” key right above it, for example...

Offline AdamSmasher

• Referee
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 05:48:00 pm »

I agree completely, but on the flip side - make sure you have a mouse available, preferably a proper, corded one, in case something goes badly wrong and you need to access more esoteric features.

Absolutely.  For example, if a team calls a TO at the end of an OTO, you'll need to reset the timeout clock, but most keyboards don't have a key bound for that. (This happened to me on Saturday.)

Offline Mav'Ricky

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Victorian Roller Derby League (Melbourne, Australia)
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 11:39:12 pm »
Not sure if this is related but what's that keyboard looking thing on some NSO's forearms in the infield? Are they operating the scoreboard from there? Or is that more of an electronic lineup tracker or something?
Be fair. Be clear.

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 12:55:11 am »
Not sure if this is related but what's that keyboard looking thing on some NSO's forearms in the infield? Are they operating the scoreboard from there? Or is that more of an electronic lineup tracker or something?

That's either a small whiteboard, or a sleeve with a crib sheet inserted with penalty codes, team rosters, and other game information.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline AdamSmasher

• Referee
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 04:13:40 am »

I know of two possibilities you could be referring to.  One is the small netbook computers used with Rinxter, which is the electronic system that to this point has been used at WFTDA Playoffs and Champs and a few other large tournaments.   The infield one is used to track penalties.

The other is Travis Sickle, who is an astonishing penalty wrangler from Cleveland who has an arm gauntlet on which he keeps an entirely duplicate copy of the PT paperwork.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:52:29 pm by AdamSmasher »

Offline Vanilla VICE

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 6
  • SC&L
  • League Affiliation: Muscogee Roller Girls
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 07:54:36 pm »

Travis is my fav NSO to watch on wftda.tv, pure gold!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:01:09 pm by Vanilla VICE »
Muscogee Roller Girls: Columbus, GA
FlatTrackStats Mod

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3368
Views: 5514
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2465
Views: 5066
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2615
Views: 5681
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3394
Views: 5640
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman