Re: Rules 2017 and old 2.4.2.2 "lost illegibility" by Divide by Zero
November 13, 2017, 07:18:19 am

Rules 2017 and old 2.4.2.2 "lost illegibility" by watzé
November 12, 2017, 08:39:57 pm

Re: Star Pass Destroys the Pack by General Hellativity
November 10, 2017, 05:31:10 pm

Re: Star Pass Destroys the Pack by Bluebeard
November 08, 2017, 10:35:28 pm

Author Topic: Choosing a uniform  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Rafael Brandão

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Sugar Loathe
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Choosing a uniform
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:39:48 pm »
So our national group of officials is trying to settle on a uniform.
We wanted our group logo to be on it, but apparently it's illegal to have any non-WFTDA decorations. Would this be such a breach of the dress code as to be prohibited in sanctioned/championship games? Or is it really not a big deal and we're worrying unnecessarily?
What about the black sleeves? Are these fine, or do the stripes have to be  in the sleeves as well?

Have you seen other kinds of distinctive gear in sanctioned bouts? As long as we keep it subtle, can we get away with small changes to the shirts?

Offline Stray Taco

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Derby / Athens Ohio Roller Derby
Re: Choosing a uniform
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:45:12 pm »
The WFTDA Officials Dress Code is pretty specific on patches:
WFTDA Rule/Clarification:
5. Referees may only affix their name and/or number and approved patches (WFTDA member patch,
Certification level, or national flag) to their shirt. All other patches/decorations are prohibited.

So, I'd say if you want to wear the shirts in sanctioned play, you shouldn't put anything except WFTDA, certification, and national flag patches.

Nothing is really specified about sleeves, so I'll defer to folks with tournament experience to answer that one.
Mike "Stray Taco" Straw

I know some things, but there's a lot more I don't know.

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 7
  • Skating in circles since 2012
  • League Affiliation: Garden State Rollergirls and Jerzey Derby Brigade
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:51 pm »
+5
So, I'd say if you want to wear the shirts in sanctioned play, you shouldn't put anything except WFTDA, certification, and national flag patches.

The document Stray Taco is referring to is WFTDA's tournament dress code.  So long as you're not officiating in a WFTDA tournament, the dress code is left up to the game head referee.  (You should contact the HR in advance to inquire regarding any dress code).

For regulation and sanctioned play, this is the only rule that applies:

WFTDA Rule/Clarification:
8.4.2 - Referees must be uniformed in a manner that makes them easily identifiable as the Officials for the game, (e.g., a black and white striped shirt).

8.4.3 - Each Referee participating in a game must be visibly and clearly identified on the back of their jersey. A Referee may use any of the following as identification:
(snip)

Any requirements beyond those rules that does not have an immediate safety rationale (ie; black shorts, non-distracting socks, whatever) is entirely up to the head referee as part of their dress code.  Many policies are standard across derby (ie; no offensive messages on one's helmet), but aren't actual rules.

For non-regulation play, you can ignore the above rules if you wish provided the teams agree to the changes.  Dress codes still apply as per the head referee.

So as far as the rules are concerned, your proposed shirt design is acceptable to the rules.  It would not be allowable at a WFTDA tournament.  Many major derby events would disallow it, as would many regulation and sanctioned games.  The patch is more likely to be a problem for head referees than the black arms.

TL;DR: Your shirt is allowable under the rules, but may violate individual game or event dress codes.

For more information:  http://www.wftda.com/officiating/wftda-officials-dress-code.pdf
6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

Offline Rafael Brandão

• League Affiliation: Sugar Loathe
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 09:04:59 pm »
It is as I feared. Thanks for the answers, Taco and Stevil.

Offline proileri

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 02:17:56 pm »
+1

This question probably is somewhat relevant to this thread..

I understand that having velcro on the shirts is ok, and velcro patches are considered properly attached, right? So you could have any non-official patches as removables.

PS. Yeah, hi guys! New club hangaround partaking NSO/ref training here. Looks like a great site!

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 7
  • Skating in circles since 2012
  • League Affiliation: Garden State Rollergirls and Jerzey Derby Brigade
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 03:42:32 pm »

I understand that having velcro on the shirts is ok, and velcro patches are considered properly attached, right? So you could have any non-official patches as removables.

PS. Yeah, hi guys! New club hangaround partaking NSO/ref training here. Looks like a great site!

Yes, but remember that strips of velcro on your uniform not attached to a patch will be scratchy.  Loose velcro is highly discouraged by the rules.  The rules on the subject are oriented toward skaters but is a good idea for referees as well.
6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

Offline llama of death

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • Referee
  • League Affiliation: Rollling Hills Derby Dames, WheatWhackers (JRDA)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 06:44:18 pm »
+1

Yes, but remember that strips of velcro on your uniform not attached to a patch will be scratchy.  Loose velcro is highly discouraged by the rules.  The rules on the subject are oriented toward skaters but is a good idea for referees as well.

Hooks should always be on the attachment for this reason. Clothing then has the fleecey bit.
I play devils advocate a lot, it is always because I desire a complete understanding of the rule/scenario. I do make changes to my reffing often as a direct result of discussions resulting in a consensus. Particularly if it is contrary to my previous understanding.

Offline proileri

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:36:01 pm »

Hooks should always be on the attachment for this reason. Clothing then has the fleecey bit.

Yep, the fuzz side is pretty soft and flexible - good call on the 'no velcro hook part lying open', though.

I actually had to test to be sure, as I have some lying around, and yes the fuzz seems to be non-abrasive on skin - although you probably want to round the tape corners a bit, they tend to be a bit pokey. On the practical side, velcro is usually sold as 1" wide rolls in multiple colors, including black and white, so you can have a pretty stealthy fuzz patch on a ref shirt if you want to. 

By the way, what about sticking self-adhesive velcro (fuzz) on helmets? Again, practical for having removable badges and other non-WFTDA stuff, and I suppose it seems to be close enough to be classified as a 'sticker', but what do you think? 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:38:09 pm by proileri »

Offline llama of death

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • Referee
  • League Affiliation: Rollling Hills Derby Dames, WheatWhackers (JRDA)
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 08:16:37 am »
For helmets use the industrial adhesive. Other stuff is for crafts and toys.
I play devils advocate a lot, it is always because I desire a complete understanding of the rule/scenario. I do make changes to my reffing often as a direct result of discussions resulting in a consensus. Particularly if it is contrary to my previous understanding.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 06:54:04 pm »
+3
For helmets use the industrial adhesive. Other stuff is for crafts and toys.

Use caution when using anything with adhesives on helmets. Many adhesives contain chemicals that can affect the integrity of the helmet shell. Most helmet manufacturers advise against putting stickers on your helmet for this reason.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Rollergirls Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 1852
Views: 2937
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 1662
Views: 3077
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 1717
Views: 3507
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 2560
Views: 3631
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman