Jammer's time in penalty box by 3Beers
January 29, 2020, 03:33:20 am

Nashville Roller Derby 2020 Scrimmage-A-Thon - 7/11/2020 by Major Wood
January 27, 2020, 09:36:38 pm

Re: Rule clarification by 3Beers
January 26, 2020, 08:09:00 pm

Re: Rule clarification by Bluebeard
January 17, 2020, 05:26:46 am

Author Topic: Just taking a pleasant little jaunt out of bounds.  (Read 3298 times)

Offline whistles@grrrls

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Gallatin Roller Girlz
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Just taking a pleasant little jaunt out of bounds.
« on: June 11, 2015, 04:50:26 am »
The other night at practice I watched a blocker, let's call her RB1, skate off the track in turn one on the outside.  RB1 didn't get hit out, didn't exit to avoid anything, she just skated out of bounds while fully in control.  As far as I can tell she just misplaced the track boundary.  (This was in practice.  We did not have a raised boundary, just a chalk line and neoprene markers.)

She skated around most of turn 2, not really picking up speed, but not loosing any either.  RB1 did not engage anyone while out of bounds.  She was nearly at the straightaway, still skating OOB when she realized her error, stopped, skated clockwise OOB and re-entered behind the pack.

Would you call a skating out of bounds penalty on RB1?

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 7
  • Skating in circles since 2012
  • League Affiliation: Garden State Rollergirls and Jerzey Derby Brigade
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
Re: Just taking a pleasant little jaunt out of bounds.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:58:47 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by "misplaced" the track boundary.  Did you mean she "ignored" or "failed to see" it?

Assuming the track was correctly set up and appropriately high contrast, then her action warrants a skating out of bounds penalty, as skating off the track for no apparent reason is not a legal or NI/NP reason for leaving the track.

The penalty should be issued the moment she exited the track.

[rule]5.12.19 - A Skater fully exiting the track, perhaps straddling along the way, entirely under their own power (except where defined as legal or no-impact, above), including while down.[/rule]

6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

Offline whistles@grrrls

• League Affiliation: Gallatin Roller Girlz
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:53:36 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by "misplaced" the track boundary.  Did you mean she "ignored" or "failed to see" it?

Assuming the track was correctly set up and appropriately high contrast, then her action warrants a skating out of bounds penalty, as skating off the track for no apparent reason is not a legal or NI/NP reason for leaving the track.

The penalty should be issued the moment she exited the track.

[rule]5.12.19 - A Skater fully exiting the track, perhaps straddling along the way, entirely under their own power (except where defined as legal or no-impact, above), including while down.[/rule]

Thanks.

I think she was looking at other things (OJ and other blockers) and failed see the boundary and didn't notice that she was out-of-bounds for a while.  I don't think there was any intent.  (Not that intent is mentioned anywhere in 5.12.)

The league I'm training with usually has refs (or in my case, a ref-in-training) at all of the practices.  When the coaches go over different jam scenarios they like to have the refs call out any penalties we see.   But it isn't the same setup as a bout or scrimmage.  It's much less formal.  We usually don't lay down a 1.2.3 compliant boundary just for normal practices.  There's reasonable contrast, but I don't think many HRs would call it "high contrast" and we generally don't have a raised boundary for practice. 

That said, the training committee  expects skaters to obey the boundary and expects refs to call cuts, OOB, etc. even in the informal practices.

Offline Stray Taco

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Derby / Athens Ohio Roller Derby
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 03:27:48 pm »
I deal with similar things at our practice. We use a No Trip Track for the boundaries, which means not only is there no rope, usually there's not even a boundary line at the spot their skates are.

Because of this, I tend to be more forgiving about crossing the line at practice since I know they will have more immediate feedback on positioning at a bout, but if I notice someone going too far out or repeatedly crossing the line a little bit in particular areas, I'll call it out.
Mike "Stray Taco" Straw

I know some things, but there's a lot more I don't know.

Offline Mav'Ricky

• Referee
  • League Affiliation: Victorian Roller Derby League (Melbourne, Australia)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 03:43:38 pm »
I agree with Axis.

however good on her for re-entering behind the pack once she realised she was OOB and not just barreling in anywhere.
Be fair. Be clear.

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 01:24:37 pm »
Had this exact thing happen last night and I declined to make a call. Our practice track also doesn't have a raised boundary and is far from what any reasonable person would consider high contrast. Generally at practice I ignore many of those little things where one skate crosses a boundary and what not. Those are extremely unlikely to happen with a raised boundary where a skater can feel the bump when she crosses it.

I'd ask the skaters how they'd like it called. It's possible they may want all of those things called regardless. If not just note it to yourself when you see it, that way you're still practicing looking at the right place and developing good habits.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 4762
Views: 8267
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 3251
Views: 6774
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 3466
Views: 7803
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 4311
Views: 9806
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman