ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Re: Yielding to the opposite side of the track by Bluebeard
April 22, 2019, 07:21:28 pm

Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Author Topic: Score board and Jam Timer: official clocks vs jam timer's stopwatches  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Lucas

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Wheel Spirit
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
    I've been told contradicting positions on that subject, therefore I'd like to hear your opinions on that. In the following scenarios, the jam timer has stopwatches, and believes them to display the accurate relevant time.

Question 1: in the middle of a period (e.g. with 14 minutes left in the period), there is a small discrepancy (e.g. 4s) between the scoreboard period clock and the jam timer's period stopwatch. Should the jam timer:
    • ask the scoreboard to update the scoreboard period clock to match the jam timer's one
    • roll with the score board's one, and update her own

Question 1': same as question 1, but near the end of the period/at the end of the period.

Question 2: when timing X (with X equal to either jam, TTO, line up time, end of the period), the jam timer should
    • Use her own stopwatchs, while trying to update the scoreboard if there is a discrepancy
    • Use the scoreboard, while trying to update it if there is a discrepancy (but rolling with the scoreboard displayed clock if she does not manage to update it to match her own stopwatches) 
    • Use the scoreboard, and update her own stopwatches if there is a discrepancy

Same questions if instead of having a 1-2s difference, there is a 30s difference between the clocks.

In related questions, should the jam timer be looking at the scoreboard or at her own stopwatches when starting a jam/stopping a jam/stopping a TTO ..?
    I've been told:
    • always use the scoreboard clock, but try to keep it updated
    • if there is a small (plausible) discrepancy, roll with the scoreboard. If there is a large (clearly due to someone's mistake) discrepancy, roll with the correct one, and update the wrong one
    • if your stopwatchs are accurate, use them, but try to update the scoreboard to display the accurate times (this position includes stopping the jam according to your stopwatches)

Offline AdamSmasher

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 3
  • League Affiliation: Lansing Derby Vixens
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
Question 1: in the middle of a period (e.g. with 14 minutes left in the period), there is a small discrepancy (e.g. 4s) between the scoreboard period clock and the jam timer's period stopwatch. Should the jam timer:
  • ask the scoreboard to update the scoreboard period clock to match the jam timer's one
  • roll with the score board's one, and update her own

Standard practice is for the scoreboard period clock to be updated from the JT clock, with the understanding that this may ONLY be done during a timeout, per

[rule]1.9.2.5 - In the event of a malfunction or discrepancy, the Official Period Clock may be updated during a timeout in between jams, based on a backup clock.[/rule]

Question 1': same as question 1, but near the end of the period/at the end of the period.

No difference

Question 2: when timing X (with X equal to either jam, TTO, line up time, end of the period), the jam timer should
  • Use her own stopwatchs, while trying to update the scoreboard if there is a discrepancy
  • Use the scoreboard, while trying to update it if there is a discrepancy (but rolling with the scoreboard displayed clock if she does not manage to update it to match her own stopwatches) 
  • Use the scoreboard, and update her own stopwatches if there is a discrepancy

Per

[rule]
1.9.2.4 - The Official Period Clock must be highly visible to Referees, teams, and audience members.

1.9.3.3 - The Official Jam Clock must be highly visible to Referees, teams, and audience members.[/rule]

So according to the rules, jams and periods MUST be ended in synch with the scoreboard clock. While they are silent on the display of lineups and TTOs, if the scoreboard displays this information, I can't imagine that by extension this would not also apply.  JTs should always be working based on the visible clocks on the scoreboard, only one of which (the period clock) can be adjusted, and only when it is stopped.

Same questions if instead of having a 1-2s difference, there is a 30s difference between the clocks.

A discrepancy that serious, in my opinion, rises to the level of HR discretion.  I would inform the HR of the problem, and that I had a running backup clock, and ask what they wanted me to do.  If I *were* the HR, I would either instruct the timer to continue to time the jam using the backup clock (for lower level play) or whistle the jam dead (for sanctioned play) per:

[rule]8.2.6.1 - A Referee may call off a jam for any of the following reasons:

8.2.6.1.3 - Technical difficulty or mechanical malfunctions (including equipment and skate malfunctions).[/rule]

In related questions, should the jam timer be looking at the scoreboard or at her own stopwatches when starting a jam/stopping a jam/stopping a TTO ..?
I've been told:
  • always use the scoreboard clock, but try to keep it updated
  • if there is a small (plausible) discrepancy, roll with the scoreboard. If there is a large (clearly due to someone's mistake) discrepancy, roll with the correct one, and update the wrong one
  • if your stopwatchs are accurate, use them, but try to update the scoreboard to display the accurate times (this position includes stopping the jam according to your stopwatches)

Isn't this basically the same as question 2?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:58:40 pm by AdamSmasher »
I'm better at remembering "Smasher" is me than "Adam."
Rules Colored Glasses - Useful Officiating Stuff

Offline Lucas

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Wheel Spirit
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Isn't this basically the same as question 2?

Yes. I wanted to be sure what I was asking was clear, and that I was especially interested on how to actually do it. Thank you for your answers.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3162
Views: 4993
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2260
Views: 4659
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2421
Views: 5194
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3206
Views: 5214
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman