Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: End of the game procedure  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Lucas

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Wheel Spirit
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
End of the game procedure
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:16:16 am »
How do you handle the end of a game. Here is how it is usually done in Europe (at least mainland, AFAIK):
  • The JR goes to their SK, check the calculation of the last jam (or last two jams, if the last jams started with more than two minutes on the clock)
  • Once both JR agree with the calculation, (carolina) scoreboard switch to "official score", and the JR sign the SK paperwork
  • The HR whistles the end of the game

When it was still allowed, the JR used to check the calculations of the whole period. Now that it is only possible to do it for one jam, this procedure seems a bit cumbersome. My questions are:
  • Is this procedure standard?
  • Where you are, how is it done, ?

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 7
  • Skating in circles since 2012
  • League Affiliation: Garden State Rollergirls and Jerzey Derby Brigade
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: End of the game procedure
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 11:54:09 am »
I cannot say if it's stills standard across the sport (I tend to doubt it), but I still encourage my JRs to check the score for the entire half.  Not that earlier jams can be changed, but it serves as an additional alert if a math error was found, something that still happens on rare occasions.  As HR I want to know about such an error so I can speak to the team captains about it after the game.  Better they learn from me then when the stats book arrives on their desk.

I am usually hovering near the score table until the score is declared final.  At that point I return to the center to address other matters. 
6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

Offline Stray Taco

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Derby / Athens Ohio Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 11:57:50 am »
  • Once both JR agree with the calculation, (carolina) scoreboard switch to "official score", and the JR sign the SK paperwork

Hmmm...I've never actually signed the scoresheet as JR.  I just inform the HR that the score is accurate.
Mike "Stray Taco" Straw

I know some things, but there's a lot more I don't know.

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 7
  • Skating in circles since 2012
  • League Affiliation: Garden State Rollergirls and Jerzey Derby Brigade
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:14:30 pm »

Hmmm...I've never actually signed the scoresheet as JR.  I just inform the HR that the score is accurate.

There's no signature slot for the JR.  Some JRs sign or initial it at the bottom as a courtesy to let the HNSO know they checked it for math errors.
6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

Offline Darth Bling

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 6
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 06:38:36 pm »
When I'm HR, once the game is over, I have my jam refs verify that the points from the last jam are correct, which can easily be checked by looking at the scoreboard's points per jam totals.  If that's good, score is final.   

Belcifer

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:11:39 am »
I was tought to sign the scoresheet to make sure that no more additions to the score are done after the period/game.

Offline SeerSin

• Stats Sheet: 55
  • League Affiliation: Minnesota Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:38:57 pm »
Signing the score sheet isn't standard, I've never done it. But then I don't see any problem with it either, can't hurt. The other parts of the outlined procedure are pretty standard. When I jam ref I always like to check in with the scorekeeper both at the half and after the game anyway. Not just to check for math errors but to ask for any feedback as well. Did I hold my points up long enough? Were my hand signals clear? Did the scorekeeper notice any issues with my scoring? The scorekeeper is the one person in the game who's watching only you. They'll see issues others may miss.

Offline Stray Taco

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Derby / Athens Ohio Roller Derby
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 12:59:21 pm »
Signing the score sheet isn't standard, I've never done it. But then I don't see any problem with it either, can't hurt. The other parts of the outlined procedure are pretty standard. When I jam ref I always like to check in with the scorekeeper both at the half and after the game anyway. Not just to check for math errors but to ask for any feedback as well. Did I hold my points up long enough? Were my hand signals clear? Did the scorekeeper notice any issues with my scoring? The scorekeeper is the one person in the game who's watching only you. They'll see issues others may miss.

I completely agree. I brought up that I didn't sign it not to say I thought it was wrong, but to make sure I hadn't been missing it!  (I'm sure I would've been informed before now, but I was making sure.)

I do communicate a lot with my scorekeepers, but I hadn't thought of going after specific feedback from them like that. I'll be doing that for future games!
Mike "Stray Taco" Straw

I know some things, but there's a lot more I don't know.

Offline ThistleBPainful

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Dutchland Derby Rollers
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 12:58:42 am »
Popping on my NSO hat:   Given the "two jams and it stands" rule now, the onus falls even more on the score table NSOs to stay sharp on the math.  It means encouraging constant dialogue and double-checks, including ideally confirming running score totals with the scoreboard operator after every single jam.  Swapping clipboards during TO/ORs to check each others' math doesn't hurt either. 

Popping on my ref hat: the JRs checking the clipboards unfortunately feels more like a vestigial formality now as opposed to last season.  It certainly doesn't hurt, but I feel like the main purpose it serves now is more touching base with the SK than actually checking math.  I'd actually encourage JRs to try and glance over and make it a point to check their scoreboard jam total after each jam--the latest-version Carolina has a designated spot for that stat, which makes it a lot easier.  But I also agree about having initial, halftime, and end-of-game JR/SK chats.

Offline Samiracle

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Toronto Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 06:04:16 am »
Popping on my ref hat: ....  I'd actually encourage JRs to try and glance over and make it a point to check their scoreboard jam total after each jam--the latest-version Carolina has a designated spot for that stat, which makes it a lot easier....

Just wanted to extract this bit to add: try to glance at that running jam total on the scoreboard between passes, if you can. If the JR/SK/SO need to sort out something wonky in a jam, it can sometimes be very useful to know on which scoring pass something seemed awry.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3492
Views: 6313
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2504
Views: 5178
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2695
Views: 5787
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3478
Views: 5772
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman