Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: Challenging Helmet Covers  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Stray Taco

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Derby / Athens Ohio Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Challenging Helmet Covers
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:27:45 am »
This is a side conversation from Vice's question on helmet covers where the team didn't have an alternate set. I'm wondering about when a ref would step in and force the issue on helmet covers that's talked about under the team challenge part:
[rule]2.6.4 An opposing team may challenge the use of a team’s helmet covers if they feel there could be confusion in distinguishing between the Jammers, Pivots, and other Blockers.

2.6.4.1 In the event of a challenge by the opposing team that meets the above standard, the Head Referee must require use of the alternate color helmet covers. If a team’s helmet cover colors are not identical but very similar, the Head Referee may enforce the helmet cover switch, but is not required to.

2.6.4.2 No helmets’ decorations, including numbers, should be able to be mistaken for a Jammer star or Pivot stripe. In the event of a challenge by the opposing team that meets the standard, the offending symbols on said helmet must be removed or covered.[/rule]

In other words, if a team's helmet covers don't meet the "high contrast" rule, or if a blocker has a big star sticker on her helmet, should we wait for the challenge or step in? Personally, I've seen (and done) the latter, but was wondering where the threshold is for people.
Mike "Stray Taco" Straw

I know some things, but there's a lot more I don't know.

Offline Kabong

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: DC Rollergirls
Re: Challenging Helmet Covers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:47:55 pm »
This is a side conversation from Vice's question on helmet covers where the team didn't have an alternate set. I'm wondering about when a ref would step in and force the issue on helmet covers that's talked about under the team challenge part:
[rule]2.6.4 An opposing team may challenge the use of a team’s helmet covers if they feel there could be confusion in distinguishing between the Jammers, Pivots, and other Blockers.

2.6.4.1 In the event of a challenge by the opposing team that meets the above standard, the Head Referee must require use of the alternate color helmet covers. If a team’s helmet cover colors are not identical but very similar, the Head Referee may enforce the helmet cover switch, but is not required to.

2.6.4.2 No helmets’ decorations, including numbers, should be able to be mistaken for a Jammer star or Pivot stripe. In the event of a challenge by the opposing team that meets the standard, the offending symbols on said helmet must be removed or covered.[/rule]

In other words, if a team's helmet covers don't meet the "high contrast" rule, or if a blocker has a big star sticker on her helmet, should we wait for the challenge or step in? Personally, I've seen (and done) the latter, but was wondering where the threshold is for people.

I'd assume we'd handle it the same way we handle OR's. If there's something we see that needs fixing, we do our best to get it fixed without further disruption. If there's something we miss that a participant sees, we consider what's been pointed out.
Kabong
Skating Official/Skater

Offline Vanilla VICE

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 6
  • SC&L
  • League Affiliation: Muscogee Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 03:46:01 pm »
I started this same conversation last week off the forum.

If the HR notices its not high contrast, but their opponent doesn't challenge it, does, 2.6.4.1 require that it be "brought up" to the HR? Thats a tough thing, and I'm not sure where I am on this decision.
Muscogee Roller Girls: Columbus, GA
FlatTrackStats Mod

Offline Stray Taco

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Derby / Athens Ohio Roller Derby
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:49:02 pm »
I started this same conversation last week off the forum.

If the HR notices its not high contrast, but their opponent doesn't challenge it, does, 2.6.4.1 require that it be "brought up" to the HR? Thats a tough thing, and I'm not sure where I am on this decision.
Actually, I just had 2.6.1 pointed out to me (note boldfaced text):
[rule]2.6.1 - Teams must have two sets of different helmet covers available during the game. A team’s helmet cover colors must meet the definition of high contrast beyond a reasonable doubt to the satisfaction of the Head Referee, or the covers may not be worn. The Jammer and/or Pivot helmet cover colors are of high contrast if there is a large degree of visual difference between the star/stripe color and the base color of the cover such that the star/stripe color stands out from the base color.[/rule]

So right there we have the ability to enforce the helmet covers without a challenge. Personally, I'd probably rather be proactive and do that than wait for a team to tell me.
Mike "Stray Taco" Straw

I know some things, but there's a lot more I don't know.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Crime City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 04:19:06 pm »
IMO, if you as HR have an issue with the helmet covers that should ideally be brought up during the pre-bout captains' meeting. If you didn't bring it up then, and the opposing team doesn't bring it up once the game has started, I'd say it's probably best to just let it be. Unless it's seriously interfering with the crew's ability to officiate the game.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3533
Views: 6333
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2512
Views: 5196
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2703
Views: 5796
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3491
Views: 5784
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman