Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Author Topic: Ref Intros  (Read 10518 times)

Offline L8R SK8R

• Restricted User
  • Stats Sheet: -13
Ref Intros
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:51:23 am »
I want to know what kind of intros people have done for refs.

In Charlotte a crowd pleaser is the Bowling Pins, where all the refs do a lap as we're introduced, then line up at one end of the inside of the track in a triangle, and when the head ref does his lap he skates towards the other refs and throws his helmet at us, and we all fall over like bowling pins. They eat it up like crazy.

Another one we've used is the Whoah Bundy, where, after the ref introductions, we all put one hand in the middle of the circle and shout "Whoah Bundy" and throw up the one hand. Fans of late 80's TV love that one.

But we can't think of other fun ones (blah, unoriginality). Any ideas?

Offline DayGlo Divine

• Stats Sheet: 39
  • Fighter of the Night Man, Champion of the Sun
Re: Ref Intros
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:42:57 am »
I want to know what kind of intros people have done for refs.

In Charlotte a crowd pleaser is the Bowling Pins, where all the refs do a lap as we're introduced, then line up at one end of the inside of the track in a triangle, and when the head ref does his lap he skates towards the other refs and throws his helmet at us, and we all fall over like bowling pins. They eat it up like crazy.

Another one we've used is the Whoah Bundy, where, after the ref introductions, we all put one hand in the middle of the circle and shout "Whoah Bundy" and throw up the one hand. Fans of late 80's TV love that one.

But we can't think of other fun ones (blah, unoriginality). Any ideas?

The bowling-pin intro is the best I've seen/done so far. Just about anything else except for the standard "every ref skates a lap" intro has felt awkward.
WFTDA Certified Referee (Level 2)
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline Rev. Riot

• Stats Sheet: 32
  • Anything needed gettin' done.
  • League Affiliation: Gotham
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:40:30 am »
We don't do one. We used to. Then we just decided we were sick of it for the most part, since we're not part of the show. So now, when everything's ready, we simply take a knee in the middle of the track (we don't have to skate out, because we've all been doing official duties already on the track, so we're already out there).

I really like not doing one, and hate hate HATE traveling and having to do a ref intro other than having my name read while I'm doing whatever I need to do in the middle.
Matthew Mantsch - Reverend Riot
WFTDA Rules Theory Committee
Gotham Girls Roller Derby - NYC

Offline mick hawkins

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 61
  • They're covers people. Helmet COVERS!
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 06:35:05 am »
we dont have a ref intro either... i like it that way

at our first game the announcer introduced the teams (as a team not and individual skater doing a lap) then said something like "ARE YOU READY!"

we refs, thinking the announcer was going to say something like "here are the refs", ended up looking at each other saying "we best get on the track then" -- so we just skated to the centre and took our positions

happily, it's been that way ever since

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:37:34 am by chugalug »
Sun State Roller Girls (WFTDA Apprentice League)
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Stegoscorus

• Stats Sheet: 51
  • STOP. Collaborate, and listen.
  • League Affiliation: Rose City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:17:53 am »
We don't have anything quite that special either.  During skaters' intro laps and the national anthem, we line up along the arc of turns 1 and 2 and get our ref faces on.  After all that, the announcers will just say something like "Your refs tonight are..." and list our names in whatever order they have them.  At that point we walk or skate over to our respective positions.  Some people will wait until their name is called to move, or wave, but others just disperse as soon as the anthem is over. 

I think I would feel really awkward if I had to skate a lap or anything.  I appreciate being recognized as a part of the bout, but any more fanfare than that I would feel weird about. 
WFTDA Certified Referee - Level 3
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Ballistic Whistle

• Stats Sheet: 14
  • I like watermelon...
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:15:21 am »
Yeah, we're leaning towards minimising time between crowd being seated and game bing played as well. Our team intros (I believe) are being cut down for our next bout and the refs just skate striaght out to the middle from the side of the track and take a knee.

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:25:00 pm »
I too prefer no fancy introduction.  With OHRG its usually just a "lets hear it for your ref and stats crew" from the announcer and then we skate into position.  The times I have guest reffed and they announce my name I just smile and wave to the crowd briefly.  I agree with Rev Riot- I am not part of the show and if I can come and go without notice then I have done my job correctly.

I did think if I HAD to skate a lap then I would take 5 or so $1 bills, sign my name to them and throw then into the crowd and give one to each announcer. ;D  Wonder what kind of reaction that would get,lol??
Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 05:34:30 pm »
ROFL thats hilarious.. First time a ref has paid off the announcer/fans :-)

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline DayGlo Divine

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 05:53:46 pm »
We don't have anything quite that special either.  During skaters' intro laps and the national anthem, we line up along the arc of turns 1 and 2 and get our ref faces on.  After all that, the announcers will just say something like "Your refs tonight are..." and list our names in whatever order they have them.  At that point we walk or skate over to our respective positions.  Some people will wait until their name is called to move, or wave, but others just disperse as soon as the anthem is over. 

I think I would feel really awkward if I had to skate a lap or anything.  I appreciate being recognized as a part of the bout, but any more fanfare than that I would feel weird about. 

I don't necessarily see intros as somehow commanding undue attention. Different leagues have different amounts of focus on the theatrical aspects of bout production, and if they want to do full-blown intros and make everyone part of the show, that's their choice. I personally don't care much about intros either way and am happy to go along with the prevailing spirit of the bout, whatever it is. But if it's done, it should be done right. Establish some actual order for calling us -- league affiliation, position, alphabetical -- and tell us what it is so we're prepared for it. Check to make sure that the official line-up is correct, as those things do tend to change at the last minute. Give us some actual cue that it's time for an intro, instead of "oh crap, I just heard my name." Give the non-skating officials the same attention as the skating refs. Come to some agreement about what's going to be done (individual laps, pace line, skate to the middle, stay put and wave). So on and so on. Anything else feels awkward and detracts from the experience.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:00:43 pm by DayGlo Divine »
Charm City Roller Girls
Opinions expressed here are mine. Not WFTDA's, not Charm City's, and not those of Zebra Huddle as a whole.

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 07:02:47 pm »
We'd only done a exhibition where I was announced. The first game we skated a lap and I tried to get the fans to "Boo" me to go ahead and get it out of their system, and or let it know, Yeah.. I expect it.

The second we had more refs than 4 so we pretty much just waved when announced. I followed whatever the head ref did.

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Stegoscorus

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 09:29:32 pm »
I don't necessarily see intros as somehow commanding undue attention. Different leagues have different amounts of focus on the theatrical aspects of bout production, and if they want to do full-blown intros and make everyone part of the show, that's their choice.

Totally.  If ref intros are part of local custom, and the crowd loves it, go for it.  I didn't mean to imply people shouldn't be doing that, just that WCR doesn't really, and I'm comfortable with that.

Lord knows I'm no opponent of hamming it up in general!
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 06:26:29 pm »
Some people like them, some people don't.

I'm in the latter category.  I'm fine with being the center of attention, but there are certain places where I know I never should be.  A derby bout is one of those places.

I don't think they should be done at all, and if it's the sort of thing that, if removed, would lead to you questioning why you're in derby, then you're in derby (reffing, at any rate) for the wrong reasons.

But I know I'm on the minority side here.  Then again, I wouldn't throw much of a fit if referees gave up derby names on the whole (though I'm not going to be a killbox-like vanguard on that end), just for full disclosure.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Offline DayGlo Divine

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 08:37:01 pm »
Then again, I wouldn't throw much of a fit if referees gave up derby names on the whole (though I'm not going to be a killbox-like vanguard on that end), just for full disclosure.

If you want to go that far, I personally believe that skaters should shed their derby names as well as the outfits and personas, etc. I think that to ever become properly legitimized, roller derby needs uniform uniforms, and actual names, not derby names. Until then, derby remains a show as well as a sport. While I understand that the sport is not popular enough to remove the show aspect from it, the question becomes, if the sport waits too long, do fans resent the sport for removing the show aspect once it become a very established part of the sport?

I completely disagree with the idea that the show has to be stripped away for the sport to stand out, or that it will bring more fans, or that bringing more fans is necessarily a good thing. But that's neither here nor there, because it is not our call to decide what direction the sport as a whole or its individual leagues should take.

Getting back to the original topic, has anyone seen a particularly memorable intro (ref, skater, or whatever) that they'd like to share? My favorite, hands down, was the Night Terrors' intro at Charm City's 2007 home opener. The house lights went off, the black lights went on, everyone skated in reverse direction, and each skater was introduced with a horror-themed couplet. Last season, Charm City moved to a bigger venue -- an arena with Astroturf flooring (which means several hours of floor setup for each bout) and bright-ass heat-lamp lights. It's a pretty sweet setup, but I do miss the ambience of watching a bout in the cozy confines of a roller rink whose interior is hopelessly stuck in the 1970s and the ability to get super-creative like that.
Charm City Roller Girls

Offline Stegoscorus

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:41 pm »
I completely disagree with the idea that the show has to be stripped away for the sport to stand out, or that it will bring more fans, or that bringing more fans is necessarily a good thing. But that's neither here nor there, because it is not our call to decide what direction the sport as a whole or its individual leagues should take.

I know this is off-topic, but I have to completely agree with Dayglo (Master of Karate & Friendship for Everyone) on this point.  The show aspect/campiness/whatever you want to call it already is an established part of our sport.  While certain aspects of that have been left behind, and will continue to be chipped away at, to make the game operate better and become more of an actual sport, I don't think we have to swear it all off to become "legitimate."

There's only so much we can compare derby to other sports.  Women's flat track roller derby is not like any other sport, and that's probably the reason most of us got into it in the first place. 
Founding Member, ARROW
Portland, OR, U.S.A.

Offline Professor Murder

• Stats Sheet: 42
  • Insert Witticism Here.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 03:20:43 am »
Then again, I wouldn't throw much of a fit if referees gave up derby names on the whole (though I'm not going to be a killbox-like vanguard on that end), just for full disclosure.

If you want to go that far, I personally believe that skaters should shed their derby names as well as the outfits and personas, etc. I think that to ever become properly legitimized, roller derby needs uniform uniforms, and actual names, not derby names. Until then, derby remains a show as well as a sport. While I understand that the sport is not popular enough to remove the show aspect from it, the question becomes, if the sport waits too long, do fans resent the sport for removing the show aspect once it become a very established part of the sport?

Not my point.  I don't think refs are part of the show.  Derby is derby, and it's not ATP tennis.  What the skaters want to do is up to the skaters, and something I'm not interested in legislating.  As others pointed out, what skaters do doesn't make it "less sport."  When you have officials wearing clown outfits, thongs over hotpants, or buttplugs on their helmets, it's remarkably easier to superficially write off the seriousness of the officiating of the sport.

A buttplug on your head doesn't mean you're a bad referee.  But what it represents to the crowd, in my opinion, is not something I want to represent.
Philly Roller Girls
WFTDA Interim Games Officer
WFTDA Certified Referee: Level 5
"100% Less Dancing" - Dr. Vroom

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3980
Views: 6576
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2587
Views: 5364
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2788
Views: 6002
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3582
Views: 5987
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman