Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Author Topic: Sharing helmet cam footage?  (Read 4014 times)

Offline whistles@grrrls

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Gallatin Roller Girlz
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Sharing helmet cam footage?
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:17:41 am »
From time to time I wear a helmet cam at the the skaters' practices.  We could argue whether helmet cams are useful or useless but that's not what I'm here for. 

Tonight at practice I called a penalty on a skater.  She asked to see the footage.  I can imagine how the footage could help the skater figure out how to avoid that penalty in the future.  I can also imagine a skater beating me up with the footage.

I've never shared footage before and depending on how the skaters use the footage.  I decided to trust the skater this time and to see how it works out.  Have any of you helmet cam users been asked for footage, how have you handled it, and how did it turn out?

Offline Divide by Zero

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
  • League Affiliation: Crime City Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
Re: Sharing helmet cam footage?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 11:34:17 am »
I can also imagine a skater beating me up with the footage.

So your reason for not wanting to share the footage is that it may turn out you were wrong?

If you were wrong wouldn't you want to know that so you can figure out how to do better next time?

Offline General Hellativity

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • League Affiliation: Ithaca League of Women Rollers
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »
I wear a helmet cam at team practices and "Other" games. I almost always share the footage if requested. The only time I won't is when the skater/team is overtly antagonistic in their request, or if the call was made by some other referee whose consent I don't have to distribute it.

When I provide it, I know there will be times when I flubbed a call. That's OK. We're not perfect, It's no surprise that we're not perfect, and the video is always a learning experience. (Although, luckily, I usually did get the call right ;) ) Whatever the video shows, I'll always include a short discussion of what I saw at the time, and what I see in the video, and whether I think the video confirms my call, or disconfirms it, or isn't very informative, very much the way we do here on this site. And then I'll ask if *they* agree, and we use the moment to have a productive discussion.

My experience is that skaters aren't looking to beat me up when they request the footage, but rather to see how they themselves can improve. And if I blew the call, well, *shrug* I learned something from it, that's the whole point of taking video in the first place, and skaters in my league have told me that their respect for me is greater because I can admit the occasional mistake.

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 7
  • Skating in circles since 2012
  • League Affiliation: Garden State Rollergirls and Jerzey Derby Brigade
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »
I wear a helmet cam (the Bult X3 -- can't recommend it enough) every non-tourney game that I HR.  I sometimes wear it while not HRing a swell.

For my part, I always ask the teams' permission before turning it on.  In exchange for their permission I offer them a copy of the edited video when it's done.  I remove all stoppages in play via Windows Movie Maker as I watch the movie.  I then post it as an unlisted video on YouTube and send both teams the link.

I've learned a few things from the footage.

1 - Pulling out clips of interesting actions serves as a great training tool for my league referees.  This summer we'll be hosting a "BBQ and Video Review" party of the best and worst calls it recorded.  No one, especially myself, will be left unscathed as we run through everyone's best and worst moments.

2 - My league loves looking over the footage.  They especially like jammer ref footage, as it allows them to study their jammers for half the game and their walls in the other.

3 - Crews often enjoy studying the video of complex actions. 

4 - Some referees are very sensitive to acknowledging error, even when the video makes it clear their call was bad.  This goes back to the ongoing "we say we like feedback but not all of us really do" issue.

5 - Video footage can be a bit like a Rorshach Inkblot, where different people perceive the same action different ways.  A second set of eyes watching the footage also sometimes reveals a detail the first set missed.

6 - Skaters love seeing clips of themselves involved with interesting actions (except when they do something really, really wrong).

7 - Once skaters are used to seeing your clips, they will often request you find a specific piece of footage and show them your angle.
6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

Offline whistles@grrrls

• League Affiliation: Gallatin Roller Girlz
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 03:29:09 pm »
I can also imagine a skater beating me up with the footage.

So your reason for not wanting to share the footage is that it may turn out you were wrong?

If you were wrong wouldn't you want to know that so you can figure out how to do better next time?

I've seen my footage.  I know I get some calls/no-calls wrong.  The skaters will see that I make mistakes from time to time.  That's not what I'm concerned about.  I'd like to get feedback, suggestions on proper position, how to anticipate game flow, etc.

What I am concerned about is a skater turning mistakes shown in the video turns into destructive criticism on every call and the time of the call.  If the skater uses a mistakes shown in the footage to rationalize a disbelief in every call against her and expresses that disbelief, verbally or non-verball, I worry that I might hesitate too much on making calls/no-call.

For some skaters on my league this won't be a problem.  For other skaters, I'm a little more concerned.  We had an incident at practice a couple of weeks ago were the skater argued enough about a call that the ref on the receiving end of the rant finally left the track area.  For those types of skaters I'm worried it gives them additional ammo to use.  In a game situation we can issue a misconduct.  At practice we really have one option, voting with our feet.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 04:16:40 pm »
In a game situation we can issue a misconduct.  At practice we really have one option, voting with our feet.

[derail]
There are (or should be) other resources available to you. You should be able to speak with someone in a leadership position over that person to discuss this with. There should also be some form of grievance/mediation policy within the league, which should be utilized. I've seen leagues lose full ref crews because that behavior became acceptable enough that it became a toxic culture. A league needs to stop that person (hopefully it's only one) from poisoning the well.
[/derail]
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Bluebeard

• Referee
  • League Affiliation: Independent
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 09:18:37 pm »
In a game situation we can issue a misconduct.  At practice we really have one option, voting with our feet.

[derail]
There are (or should be) other resources available to you. You should be able to speak with someone in a leadership position over that person to discuss this with. There should also be some form of grievance/mediation policy within the league, which should be utilized. I've seen leagues lose full ref crews because that behavior became acceptable enough that it became a toxic culture. A league needs to stop that person (hopefully it's only one) from poisoning the well.
[/derail]

This.

Offline Invader Jim

• Stats Sheet: 3
  • League Affiliation: Naptown Roller Girls
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 07:34:50 pm »
4 - Some referees are very sensitive to acknowledging error, even when the video makes it clear their call was bad.  This goes back to the ongoing "we say we like feedback but not all of us really do" issue.

I have made plenty of mistakes in my reffing career.  In that time, I have always welcomed questions from skaters (and anyone else) about why I made a call.  Discussing calls and learning from our mistakes is an essential component to becoming a better ref.  People who are so thin-skinned that they can't admit to a mistake have probably made a poor choice in becoming a referee. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:26:43 pm by Invader Jim »

Offline Mav'Ricky

• Referee
  • League Affiliation: Victorian Roller Derby League (Melbourne, Australia)
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 03:37:46 pm »
Much like Stevil, I share my footage as an unlisted YouTube link. My league absolutely love this sharing of footage. I've been asked a few times for certain footage for example by an injured skater (footage which usually gets edited out) In this case I will share this with them personally via USB stick rather than YouTube.
I've found HR footage more useful than JR footage. When JRing I'll often put the GoPro up on the wall
Be fair. Be clear.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3492
Views: 6313
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2504
Views: 5178
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2695
Views: 5787
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3478
Views: 5772
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman