Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Author Topic: Earning Lead  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Sawyer Infraction

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Lava City Roller Dolls
Earning Lead
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:37:45 pm »
Considering the Rationale in Scenario C2.13, I provide the following question:

Suppose a Jammer is knocked out of bounds during their initial pass and the initiator, while drawing back the Jammer, exits the rear of the Engagement Zone and gets an Out of Play Warning. As a result, the Jammer enters the track in front of said blocker. Is this a NP/NP? Or can the Jammer still earn Lead after passing all in play blockers? Although C2.13 refers to the front of the engagement zone in the scenario, would this apply in the rear as in my example?

Offline Vanilla VICE

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 6
  • SC&L
  • League Affiliation: Muscogee Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Earning Lead
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 10:10:13 pm »
I'll start by saying I'm not that confident in my answer, but I have one.

So it isn't a cut because the initiator fell.
It also isn't an earned pass because earned passes are defined in 2.5 and this doesn't meet that criteria. The pass was made OOB.

The jammer could still earn lead if they re-earned a pass on the initiator before breaking through.
Lead is checked the momment you pass the foremost in play blocker, at that moment if you have earned passes on all in play blockers, you get lead. In this case if they never re passed the initiator, they wouldn't meet that definition.
[rule]
Jammers only “earn” a pass if the pass occurs while the Jammer is wearing the Star on their helmet with the stars showing. All earned passes count as passes. Passes are only “earned” if:

the Jammer is upright and in-bounds during the pass, or
    another Skater skates behind the in-bounds Jammer, giving up their position[/rule]

Since the initiator is not considered “not on the track”, then the following types of earned passes would not apply:

[rule]
    is sent to or serving time in the Penalty Box
    leaves the track due to injury
    leaves the track temporarily to fix equipment or skates
    was not part of the Jam in the first place (because their team did not field the maximum number of Skaters)
    returns to active gameplay behind the Jammer[/rule]

I believe the front EZ is different because the foremost in play blocker can change in any given moment. So to answer your question, I do not think the rear is the same as the front.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:17:04 pm by Vanilla VICE »
Muscogee Roller Girls: Columbus, GA
FlatTrackStats Mod

Offline Bluebeard

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Independent
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Earning Lead
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 11:45:03 pm »
I will just add a couple of caveats and an exceedingly rare edge case to VICE's excellent answer.

Caveat 1) If that blocker gets sent to the penalty box before lead is assigned, she would then become an "earned" pass as a NOTT point and the jammer would thus be eligible for lead.  I will be adding this to my mental checklist of things to watch/listen for when jam reffing.

Caveat 2) If the jammer had already earned a pass on that blocker before getting knocked OOB, then she still has that earned pass and is thus still eligible for lead.

Edge case) I read that as saying that the jammer has to have earned passes on all blockers who are in play at the time lead is assigned.  So, if that blocker is somehow still behind the engagement zone when the jammer passes the foremost in play blocker, I think that the jammer would be eligible for lead; having passed the foremost in play blocker and having already earned passes on all other in-play blockers.  I can only think of three ways for this to happen:
  1) The blocker is just lollygagging around behind the engagement zone and the pack refs drop the ball on issuing a failure to return penalty to them.
  2) The pack takes off at such a speed that the blocker can't catch up and re-enter the engagement zone. Yet, the jammer is fast enough to be able to pass through the entire pack.
  3) The blocker runs back another skater and exits the back of the engagement zone again just at the same time as the jammer clears the foremost blocker.

I see all three of those possibilities as so unlikely that I do not intend to add a look back to see if that blocker is out the back of the engagement zone to my mental checklist.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3932
Views: 6442
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2555
Views: 5290
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2751
Views: 5903
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3545
Views: 5895
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman