ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Re: Yielding to the opposite side of the track by Bluebeard
April 22, 2019, 07:21:28 pm

Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Author Topic: Officiating Discression vs just plain wrong  (Read 3080 times)

Offline llama of death

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • Referee
  • League Affiliation: Rollling Hills Derby Dames, WheatWhackers (JRDA)
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Officiating Discression vs just plain wrong
« on: July 21, 2016, 09:00:57 pm »
[rule]8.1.2 - Head Referee: One Referee is designated the Head Referee. The Head Referee is the ultimate authority. The Head Referee will assign positions and duties to the other Referees and Non-Skating Officials as necessary.[/rule]

As far as I am aware the HR is the final say when it comes to interpreting the rules. However on occasion the HR is just plain wrong about a rule.

I don't mean interpreting something wrong, I mean like using their "ultimate authority" 'card' to enforce a rule that simply does not exist or is memorized wrong. (example: they state and enforce the team time outs reset at the half, which they definitely do not per  the rules)

In the extreme but very real case of a HR being just plain wrong like this what is the best course of action? Would you react differently if it was a bigger issue than the number of time outs? Would it be different if they refused to change their mind, preferring instead to continue the bout to "preserve gameflow" etc.

Personally there is no question that they must be politely confronted and corrected if at all possible, for me this is an ethics question of what should I or others do in the case of a HR being just wrong. If this belongs in a different section of the site please feel free to move it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:25:02 pm by llama of death »
I play devils advocate a lot, it is always because I desire a complete understanding of the rule/scenario. I do make changes to my reffing often as a direct result of discussions resulting in a consensus. Particularly if it is contrary to my previous understanding.

Offline Speedy Convalesce

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Rhein-Neckar Delta Quads
Re: Officiating Discression vs just plain wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 01:53:20 pm »
Once a HR pulls 8.1.2, you should stop discussing the call, no matter how certain you are that they are wrong. This decision is final, the only possible appeal is by official review and you are not granted any official reviews. Move on.

It might be that the HR is not doing their job very well in the situation, but it is still their job and not yours.

Offline Vanilla VICE

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 6
  • SC&L
  • League Affiliation: Muscogee Roller Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 05:09:36 pm »
I would tell them what I thought the correct rule is once, if they still persist, I would let it go and let them make the decisions that they are entitled to make. I agree with the line above that once they hear the concern and invoke section 8, the debate is over. At that point right or wrong they have to make a decision and move on with the game.
Muscogee Roller Girls: Columbus, GA
FlatTrackStats Mod

Offline Mav'Ricky

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Victorian Roller Derby League (Melbourne, Australia)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 09:57:13 am »
I agree with all of the above.

Sounds like a frustrating situation. You could make it noted you respect HR's authoritay but respectfully disagree with the call/made up rule etc. so that later on if it does get clarified, at least you made your position on the subject clear.
Be fair. Be clear.

Offline Major Puddles

• Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:04:01 am »
Agree with all of the above in that during the bout, move on, it's out of your hands, but would add that there would be nothing wrong with sending them an email/facebook message whatever to discuss it after the bout. That's only if you want to pursue it. Don't be aggressive, judgemental or angry. Be professional and respectful. Something like....

During the bout on Saturday, you made such and such a call. After thinking about it, I'm struggling to understand your reasoning.
As per Rule 99:99:99, *text*.
I understand that as HR, you're ruling is final, but it seems contrary to the ruleset, rather than just a matter of interpretation, or something that isn't clear.
Could you give me more insight into how you arrived at your decision?
Regards,
   Ref McReffy.

I would only suggest following this avenue if you are either trying to understand why they made the call, or trying to correct their error in a kindly fashion.

It could also be worth running the scenario past other experienced refs whose judgement you trust just to make sure that you're not missing something yourself.

Offline llama of death

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • Referee
  • League Affiliation: Rollling Hills Derby Dames, WheatWhackers (JRDA)
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 10:16:53 pm »
Agree with all of the above in that during the bout, move on, it's out of your hands, but would add that there would be nothing wrong with sending them an email/facebook message whatever to discuss it after the bout. That's only if you want to pursue it. Don't be aggressive, judgemental or angry. Be professional and respectful. Something like....

During the bout on Saturday, you made such and such a call. After thinking about it, I'm struggling to understand your reasoning.
As per Rule 99:99:99, *text*.
I understand that as HR, you're ruling is final, but it seems contrary to the ruleset, rather than just a matter of interpretation, or something that isn't clear.
Could you give me more insight into how you arrived at your decision?
Regards,
   Ref McReffy.

I would only suggest following this avenue if you are either trying to understand why they made the call, or trying to correct their error in a kindly fashion.

It could also be worth running the scenario past other experienced refs whose judgement you trust just to make sure that you're not missing something yourself.

This ^^ btw IS how I go about it when it does (rarely) happen. Though I don't like it as I am of the opinion, that this rule does not allow them to make things up or change the rules which does happen in my experience. Usually it happens in the name of "it's part of derby." In the end disrespect and arguing mid bout is counterproductive for everyone, not to mention unprofessional.

For those out there who also have this question I do these steps:

Hear them out, if I disagree respectfully voice my disagrement and explain why (cite rules as available), if they still stand on it, I call it their way for the rest of the bout and write it down later for research/ZH questions/email(s), then when I have gathered enough info to be certain of the way it is called by the rest of the community.

This is also why yall see me ask a lot of "dumb" questions or pressing for a consensus from the ZH community.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:22:27 pm by llama of death »
I play devils advocate a lot, it is always because I desire a complete understanding of the rule/scenario. I do make changes to my reffing often as a direct result of discussions resulting in a consensus. Particularly if it is contrary to my previous understanding.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3162
Views: 4992
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2260
Views: 4659
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2421
Views: 5194
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3206
Views: 5214
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman