Re: Standing for 10 seconds by AdamSmasher
August 27, 2018, 03:37:57 am

Standing for 10 seconds by Ace of Bass
August 26, 2018, 10:34:33 pm

Re: Call-offs and ceding by Garrotin Keillor
August 25, 2018, 12:10:40 am

Re: Call-offs and ceding by AdamSmasher
August 24, 2018, 06:10:08 pm

Author Topic: 2017 Rules: Unexpected changes  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 7
  • Skating in circles since 2012
  • League Affiliation: Garden State Rollergirls and Jerzey Derby Brigade
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
2017 Rules: Unexpected changes
« on: February 28, 2017, 12:56:37 pm »
+3
When the new rule set was released WFTDA put out two “expected change summaries”.

Gameplay changes: https://wftda.com/2017-rules-changes-to-gameplay/
Game structure changes: https://wftda.com/2017-rules-changes-to-game-structure/

The word “expected” was used because the rules were completely rewritten.  There would undoubtedly be changes that were either not expected or were too minor to make the above lists.

I put together the following list of “unexpected” changes.  I’m sure there are others -- feel free to add what you’ve noticed in the comments.  Also, please correct me if you believe I am mistaken on any of this.

-----------------

Please note these are summaries and not direct quotes from the rules.)

1.2 -- A skater who withdraws from play due to injury may return to the jam if they are no longer apparently injured or bleeding.

1.3 -- The explicit prohibition against calling a TO or OR from the penalty box has been removed.  My belief is that they are still prohibited, but some officials disagree.

1.5.1 -- The “60 seconds delay” requirement prior to each overtime jam has been removed.  There is currently no explicit instructions as to the timing of overtime jams.

2.2.2 -- Jammers no longer lose the ability to become lead jammer if they go out of bounds prior to entering the engagement zone.

2.2.3 -- The prohibition against a blocker picking up a stripe cover has been removed.  (Unclear at what point this action creates sufficient impact to issue an illegal procedure penalty.)

2.2.4 -- It is no longer a penalty for the pivot to remove the jammer’s cover.  (Treat as an incomplete star pass.)

2.4 -- Fully out of bounds skaters cannot be involved in an assist. Straddling skaters cannot initiate an assist.  In bounds skaters can assist or can initiate an assist off a straddling skater.

2.4 -- The rules state that assisting a downed skater to an upright position is an illegal action.  (General consensus: this should be interpreted as having no impact on the game.)

2.5 -- Teammates that skate clockwise past a downed jammer during the initial trip through the pack now count as earned passes.  (Old rules: NP/NP)

3.1 -- Points are scored for lapping people, not positions.  As a result, eating the baby at jam start followed by a lap-down star pass does not result in the out of bounds jammer gaining lapping position on the pivot-turned-jammer.  The out of bounds jammer does gain lapping position on the jammer-turned-blocker, and will score a point upon this skater if then passed legally during their initial pass.

(The above is a rare complicated scenario for a strategy that the new rule set makes even less desirable for unrelated reasons.  So if you don’t understand what I’m writing, just smile and move on because it likely won’t matter.)

4 -- Penalties have been recategorized from 5 categories with 16 subcategories to a new system with 3 categories/8 subcategories.  Many penalties remain in effect but are no longer explicit described in the rules.  For example, “stalling” and “star pass interference”.  The precise verbal cues to use for some of these offenses remains unclear as of this writing. 

Many other penalties are still explicitly prohibited by the rule set, but are now in different categories. For example, “illegal re-entry” is now a “gaining position” penalty instead of an “illegal procedure”.

4 -- The illegal return penalty (ie; leaving the engagement zone from one side and returning to it via the other) has been removed.

4.1.2 -- The thresholds for contact with an illegal blocking zone have been simplified.
  • Initiating contact with any illegal blocking zone (previously only forearms) warrants a penalty for significantly changing an opponent's trajectory or speed.
  • Initiating contact with any illegal blocking zone now also warrants a penalty for forcing an opponent significantly off balance.
  • Initiating contact with forearms that forces an opponent significant out of position is no longer sufficient impact to warrant a penalty (but will probably fall afoul of one of the above thresholds anyway).

4.1.3, C4.17 -- The thresholds for unexpected contact have been simplified.
  • Unexpected contact that severely affects movement or trajectory now warrants a penalty.
  • A stopped or clockwise block that forces an opponent severely off balance no longer automatically warrants a penalty, but may still fall afoul of the above threshold.

4.2.2 -- A skater who leaves the track for legal reasons (equipment/skate failure, accidental self-report to the box, etc.) must now return behind all in-play blockers.  During a no pack situation this is everyone within 20 feet of a member of the former pack.

4.2.3 -- "Delay of game" (or perhaps "unsporting conduct") penalties can now be issued for unexpected (and avoidable) behaviors that "break derby" and interfere with game flow.  Example: a wall of four blockers prevents an opposing jammer from scoring by racing forward, ignoring out of play warnings, and continuing forward until they meet meet the other wall from behind.

4.2.4 -- Technical violations by teams should be issued a penalty if they result in impact or an advantage.  When possible, use warnings to resolve them before they have impact.

4.5 -- There is no longer a written rule or policy regarding fouled out skaters and where they can go.  Presumably it is acceptable for them to sit in the audience if they don’t interfere with the game.  (Restrictions for expelled skaters are covered in the WFTDA Expulsion and Suspension Policy.)

5.4 -- Penalties are no longer assessed to the Pivot by virtue of being pivot.  They now go to the nearest skater during a jam, or captain between jams.

C4.42 -- A skater blocked to the inside of the track who re-enters in a cutting position but also ahead of the engagement zone is considered to be legally re-entering far behind the pack on the same trip through the pack

C4.59 -- Deliberately removing an opponent’s helmet cover warrants expulsion (both for unsporting conduct and intentional contact to an opponent’s head).  (Old: was often enforced this way, but was not explicit in the rules.)
6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

Offline Speedy Convalesce

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Rhein-Neckar Delta Quads
Re: 2017 Rules: Unexpected changes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:41:35 pm »
2.2.1 -- It is no longer forbidden for a Jammer helmet cover to enter a Jam in progress. (It is still forbidden for the Pivot cover.)

3.1 -- The foremost Jammer at the Jam start is in lapping position on the other Jammer. (Old: Was not explicit but called that way.)

C3.7 -- If a Jammer starts in the box the opposing Jammer can be in lapping position upon their return. (Old: Was not explicit and apparently called differently in different regions of the world.) There now appears to be a divide about how to handle lapping positions for Jammers returning from a box trip that started during the current Jam. (Old: There was no lapping position until the first physical pass.)

C3.19 -- A Jammer only earns NOTT points for opponents penalized while they are in the box upon return, if they have unlocked NOTT points before their penalty.

C3.19 -- For earning a NOTT point on an opponent penalized while the Jammer is in the box, it doesn't matter if said opponent returned to the track before the Jammer or not. (Old: Was not specified and a point of debate)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:23:51 pm by Speedy Convalesce »

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:20:21 pm »
C3.10 -- A Jammer only earns NOTT points for opponents penalized while they are in the box upon return, if they have unlocked NOTT points before their penalty.

Thanks for the list.  Did you mean C3.15 for the above?  C3.10 has nothing to do with what you described.

(Side note: C3.15 repealed 7.2.1.3, an "obscure" scoring rule in the prior set.)
6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

Offline Tarao

• League Affiliation: Veuves Noires de Rouen
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 08:51:19 pm »
2.2.1 -- It is no longer forbidden for a Jammer helmet cover to enter a Jam in progress. (It is still forbidden for the Pivot cover.)

Hi.
I'm sorry but I don't find where you can find a difference between the two covers?

Offline Stray Taco

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Derby / Athens Ohio Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 08:58:15 pm »

Hi.
I'm sorry but I don't find where you can find a difference between the two covers?

The difference is in the way the two positions are defined in the rules:
WFTDA Rule/Clarification:
2.2.1. Jammers
The Jammer is denoted as the Skater in possession of the Jammer helmet cover (a.k.a. “The Star”) at the beginning of the Jam. If no such Skater exists, the Jammer is a Skater from that team who begins the Jam behind the Jammer Line. If a Skater is serving a penalty as their team’s Jammer, no teammate may begin the Jam in possession of the Star or behind the Jammer Line. Unless they are serving a penalty, the Jammer must start the Jam on or behind the Jammer Line. Jammers may be stopped or coasting, but may not be actively gaining speed in the counterclockwise direction at the Jam-Starting Whistle.

2.2.3. Pivot Blocker
The Pivot is a Blocker, and is denoted as the Skater in possession of the Pivot helmet cover (a.k.a. “The Stripe”) at the Jam-Starting Whistle. The Pivot wearing the Stripe with the stripe showing has several additional abilities that other Blockers do not.

2.2.1 allows a Skater who doesn't have the Star to be the Jammer ("If no such Skater exists, the Jammer is a Skater from that team who begins the Jam behind the Jammer Line.").  There's no such provision in 2.2.3 for the Pivot.
Mike "Stray Taco" Straw

I know some things, but there's a lot more I don't know.

Offline Tarao

• League Affiliation: Veuves Noires de Rouen
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:08:02 pm »
ok thanks

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 09:45:57 pm »
+2
1.3 -- The explicit prohibition against calling a TO or OR from the penalty box has been removed.  My belief is that they are still prohibited, but some officials disagree.
I feel confident that they should not be allowed. These rules are supposed to be encouraging us to think for ourselves as to what the game should be. Being penalized removes a player from being an active participant in the game. Calling a timeout is actively participating in the game.

2.2.3 -- The prohibition against a blocker picking up a stripe cover has been removed.  (Unclear at what point this action creates sufficient impact to issue an illegal procedure penalty.)
I view this as no substantive change

4.2.3 -- "Delay of game" (or perhaps "unsporting conduct") penalties can now be issued for unexpected (and avoidable) behaviors that "break derby" and interfere with game flow.  Example: a wall of four blockers prevents an opposing jammer from scoring by racing forward, ignoring out of play warnings, and continuing forward until they meet meet the other wall from behind.
I don't agree with your example here. That rule is more about game flow than breaking derby. The example given should be dealt with by out of play penalties.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Rollergirls Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Speedy Convalesce

• NSO
  • League Affiliation: Rhein-Neckar Delta Quads
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 12:27:02 pm »
C3.10 -- A Jammer only earns NOTT points for opponents penalized while they are in the box upon return, if they have unlocked NOTT points before their penalty.

Thanks for the list.  Did you mean C3.15 for the above?  C3.10 has nothing to do with what you described.

No, I actually meant C3.19. Updated my post.

Offline AdamSmasher

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 3
  • League Affiliation: Lansing Derby Vixens
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 01:23:21 pm »
I view this as no substantive change

I would disagree with this.

(2015 rules) 2.2.2.1 If the Pivot helmet cover falls to the ground or is removed from play for
any reason, it may only be recovered by the Pivot.

Given that the old rules were not focused around "discretion," this would seem to have required a penalty under the old rules.
I'm better at remembering "Smasher" is me than "Adam."
Rules Colored Glasses - Useful Officiating Stuff

Offline llama of death

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 1
  • Referee
  • League Affiliation: Rollling Hills Derby Dames, WheatWhackers (JRDA)
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 06:29:29 pm »
Stevil, do you mind if i link to this? I was working on just such a list for @RollerderbyOfficialTimeout on FB and you beat me to it, and with style (this is a more through list than I had been working on).
I play devils advocate a lot, it is always because I desire a complete understanding of the rule/scenario. I do make changes to my reffing often as a direct result of discussions resulting in a consensus. Particularly if it is contrary to my previous understanding.

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 02:38:34 am »
+1
Stevil, do you mind if i link to this? I was working on just such a list for @RollerderbyOfficialTimeout on FB and you beat me to it, and with style (this is a more through list than I had been working on).

Sure, go ahead.  Give it a couple of days though.  There's another change or two I need to research when I get some free time.  I may be adding a couple more to the list.

Offline Bluebeard

• Referee
  • League Affiliation: Independent
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:21:37 pm »

3.1 -- The foremost Jammer at the Jam start is in lapping position on the other Jammer. (Old: Was not explicit but called that way.)

C3.7 -- If a Jammer starts in the box the opposing Jammer can be in lapping position upon their return. (Old: Was not explicit and apparently called differently in different regions of the world.) There now appears to be a divide about how to handle lapping positions for Jammers returning from a box trip that started during the current Jam. (Old: There was no lapping position until the first physical pass.)

C3.19 -- A Jammer only earns NOTT points for opponents penalized while they are in the box upon return, if they have unlocked NOTT points before their penalty.

C3.19 -- For earning a NOTT point on an opponent penalized while the Jammer is in the box, it doesn't matter if said opponent returned to the track before the Jammer or not. (Old: Was not specified and a point of debate)

c3.7  does not say that a jammer who starts in the box automatically gives the other jammer  lapping position upon re-entering the track.  It talks about a jammer returning to the track just ahead of the on track jammer who is rolling at speed.  the on track jammer then passes the returning jammer, gaining lapping position by virtue of passing them on the track.

2.2.1  I agree that it is no longer explicitly stated to be forbidden for a star to enter an in progress jam.  However, it is also not explicitly permitted.  In the old rules we could have a jammer without a star who was inactive for the entire jam.  I am inclined towards calling this the same way under the 2017 rules until I hear otherwise from WFTDA (no helmet cover can enter a jam in progress).

Offline AdamSmasher

• NSO
  • Stats Sheet: 3
  • League Affiliation: Lansing Derby Vixens
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 02:16:27 pm »
c3.7  does not say that a jammer who starts in the box automatically gives the other jammer  lapping position upon re-entering the track.  It talks about a jammer returning to the track just ahead of the on track jammer who is rolling at speed.  the on track jammer then passes the returning jammer, gaining lapping position by virtue of passing them on the track.

3.7 is extremely confusing, true, but I agree with Stevil.  The strong implication is that if one jammer starts in the box, the other jammer IS eligible for a lap point on their second scoring trip if the penalized jammer returns to play.  It would be better if the case didn't confuse the issue with as many confounding variables as it does.

2.2.1  I agree that it is no longer explicitly stated to be forbidden for a star to enter an in progress jam.  However, it is also not explicitly permitted.  In the old rules we could have a jammer without a star who was inactive for the entire jam.  I am inclined towards calling this the same way under the 2017 rules until I hear otherwise from WFTDA (no helmet cover can enter a jam in progress).

Case 2.7 says that it is legal to pull the star out of your pocket or shirt at the start of the jam and put it on.  Since there is no substantial difference in game impact between that and having the coach throw the star in, I can't possibly justify penalizing something that simply isn't illegal in the rules. 

Adding to that, the point of the new Delay of Game rules was to prevent one team from having a scoreless two minutes due to an error.  Forbidding a helmet cover from being thrown in would have the same effect.
I'm better at remembering "Smasher" is me than "Adam."
Rules Colored Glasses - Useful Officiating Stuff

Offline Destructor

• League Affiliation: Las Palmas Roller Derby
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 04:10:12 pm »
1.3.2. Official Reviews
 If the Head Referee determines that an officiating error was made in relation to the situation under review, the team will retain the privilege to call an additional review later in the same period. The review can be retained in this manner only once per period.

Now, OR only called 2 times per period? (If first time retain). Before, how many was called? (we used infinite while request was correct).  :o

Offline Ref Leppard

• Referee
  • League Affiliation: Atomic City Roller Derby
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 04:34:55 pm »
1.3.2. Official Reviews
 If the Head Referee determines that an officiating error was made in relation to the situation under review, the team will retain the privilege to call an additional review later in the same period. The review can be retained in this manner only once per period.

Now, OR only called 2 times per period? (If first time retain). Before, how many was called? (we used infinite while request was correct).  :o

I only started skating a year ago and I was always taught that you only retained the Official Review once per period (if successful on first one that period)  so I don't think that has changed. 

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 2434
Views: 4043
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 1915
Views: 3979
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2036
Views: 4436
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 2874
Views: 4527
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman