Communicating Position Status in WFTDA Play by AdamSmasher
July 31, 2017, 08:43:44 pm

Re: Uninvolved skaters and track cuts by Garrotin Keillor
July 31, 2017, 04:51:31 am

Uninvolved skaters and track cuts by QED
July 31, 2017, 03:33:28 am

Re: Two Pivots and a star pass by Garrotin Keillor
July 28, 2017, 07:32:52 am

Re: Is it still a "star stash" if the helmet cover is mostly visible? by Vanilla VICE
July 23, 2017, 03:43:01 pm

Re: Is it still a "star stash" if the helmet cover is mostly visible? by Triop
July 22, 2017, 10:39:56 am

Re: Is it still a "star stash" if the helmet cover is mostly visible? by Heisenbout
July 22, 2017, 12:28:48 am

Author Topic: How to treat refs nicely?  (Read 801 times)

Offline ButtBlock_36

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Gent GO-GO Roller Derby
How to treat refs nicely?
« on: March 14, 2017, 11:55:37 am »
I am a long time skater who recently took an interest in reffing. And it's a whole new exciting world that opens before me. I want to learn and master it all! (and this forum is helping me heaps btw - thanks for that) :D

But... as it seems it has been lacking for a long time in my league & I myself don't have the experience yet: what do refs like in terms of treatment? How can my league make refs like it? What do you consider best practices when visiting other leagues?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:05:47 pm by ButtBlock_36 »

Offline Stray Taco

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 4
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Derby / Athens Ohio Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: How to treat refs nicely?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 02:04:03 pm »
+1
You can probably get as many opinions on what officials consider good treatment as you'll get officials, but here is #myopinion which is #reallywordy because I have #lotsofthoughts:

First, the basic things "everybody" does:
  • Fun goodie bags/baskets in the ref room
  • Snacks and water for the refs
  • Skaters saying "Thank you" to the officials before and/or after the game
  • Team cheer including "Thank you refs, Thank you NSOs"
  • Gas stipends/gas cards for officials who travel to help (especially when not affiliated with any leagues involved)

I put "everybody" in quotes, because while not all teams do this, most do or at least something along these lines. These are nice, tangible ways to show appreciation. In other words, if you're doing them, don't stop (Especially the stipends if you can afford them. It costs a lot to travel somewhere to ref!). But the reality is that these are tokens. When I leave a game wanting to return at every opportunity, it's because I felt like I was a genuinely appreciated part of making a successful derby experience for everyone there. And when I swear I won't go back, it's because Officials are afterthoughts or worse, treated badly by the teams or coordinators (NOTE: This is VERY rare, and no I won't say where I've experienced it).

It's really about making me feel that I was a valued part of the event and that there was growth by being a part of it. Not necessarily that everybody was happy and got along perfectly, but that I was respected as a person and as an official.

So, what makes me feel valued and respected? Well...
  • Teaching Skaters to treat officials with basic, human respect. Disagreement on calls comes with the territory, but constant arguing of every call or treating refs like they're biased or don't know what they're doing because calls don't go your way can be frustrating. Refs have thick skin but if that behavior is expected every time your team is around it will factor in when there are multiple places to go skate.
  • Contacting me far enough ahead of a game to be able to plan appropriately (Of course, things happen, but there's a difference between "we lost someone at the last minute" and "we forgot about needing refs until this week".
  • If I'm the Head Ref (especially when I'm travelling), making sure I know who my contact is with the league, who my Head NSO is, and what's expected of me as far as filling the ref roster
  • If I'm the Head Ref, giving me the freedom to make rostering decisions, are at least communicate concerns and changes I'd like to make
  • Good information before the game about the venue, schedule, teams, and any unusual circumstances I should be aware of
  • Not telling me how horrible the other refs were that you've had before (in my experience, if you're talking bad about other people to me, that's a good sign you'll talk bad about me to other people
  • Ensuring all Officials (refs and NSOs) have what they need to successfully do their jobs. (stopwatches, colors for the Jammer Refs), etc.)
  • Working with the refs to know what you'll provide or they need to bring to ensure they're properly nourished and hydrated (water to refill bottles is critical, snacks that actually help with mid-game or inter-game recovery are also good).
  • Clearly communicating what's expected for evaluations, where applicable (some refs don't care, other refs care a LOT)
  • If evaluations are requested, sending them to Cert in a timely manner.
  • This won't necessarily be seen by the ref (unless you choose to provide a copy), but actually taking the time to provide a thought-out evaluation, as opposed to drawing a line down the right side with no real comments.

I'm sure others have other things, and everyone prioritizes differently, but that's my list :)
Mike "Stray Taco" Straw

I know some things, but there's a lot more I don't know.

Offline Paquin

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:06:30 am »
+1
What a great post Mike. Thanks for taking the time to write it for newbies to reffing like us.

Offline Ref Leppard

• Referee
  • League Affiliation: Atomic City Roller Derby
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 03:10:39 am »

I second this one.  I have done 4 Sanctioned/Regular games so far and asked the HR and HNSO of each for evals.  I have a grand total of 2 evals, both from the same HNSO who happened to do two of the bouts.  It's amazing how many HR/HNSO don't bother to send in evals.

Edit:  And before you ask, yes I ask ahead of time, supply the form filled out as much as possible.  Wait a month and politely remind them.  I get the standard "oh yeah I forgot I need to do that"  and once again, nothing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 03:14:05 am by Ref Leppard »

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 06:11:05 pm »

I second this one.  I have done 4 Sanctioned/Regular games so far and asked the HR and HNSO of each for evals.  I have a grand total of 2 evals, both from the same HNSO who happened to do two of the bouts.  It's amazing how many HR/HNSO don't bother to send in evals.

Edit:  And before you ask, yes I ask ahead of time, supply the form filled out as much as possible.  Wait a month and politely remind them.  I get the standard "oh yeah I forgot I need to do that"  and once again, nothing.

Just a friendly suggestion: You mentioned you have 4 sanctioned games so far. Based on that, you probably don't want evals on record yet. We don't know what certification will look like when it re-launches, so this is based on the system which is now on hold. You want your evaluations to show exceptional performance, which they often don't, even for the best officials out there. The expectation of performance in a sanctioned game is higher, which can definitely skew evaluations. You will have negative evaluations, no matter who you are. You want to do what you can to make those negative evaluations the outliers.

I personally recommend waiting until you are established and have a reasonable expectation of getting good evaluations before you start requesting them.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Rollergirls Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Ref Leppard

• Referee
  • League Affiliation: Atomic City Roller Derby
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 12:41:21 am »
+2
I understand about the potential for negative evals and such.  I have only been reffing since august of 2016.  I have no unreasonable expectation of getting certified any time soon (even if cert was active).  But in that 7 months I have racked up 35 total games I've refereed for.  I know that's not a lot compared to some certified referees but I've learned a lot in that time (I still have a ways to go of course).  Of those games only 4 have been sanctioned and I got lucky with a couple being a visiting team from canada getting a few bouts in while they were here.  There are only 3 teams within 200 miles of me that are WFTDA affiliated.  So evals from those games are even more important (granted we aren't sure they will be the same under whatever new system is put into place.)
After each of these games I have asked for any feedback that the HR wants to give.  In almost every case it consists of you did a good job or one or two minor comments.  This is then followed by no eval. 

I guess my primary issue is this:  If you (as a HR) are asked to provide an eval, then you should.  You don't know how important that eval may be to that particular referee.  If you want to help them out by not submitting a negative evaluation then you should explain this to them.  I know not all will take it well but that is their problem.  Otherwise you leave the referee hanging and not sure what to do. 

Recently I've seen posts on the derby groups i'm in regarding a severe lack of referees.  I've even seen several games in the area canceled due to a lack of referees.  This has caused an appeal to leagues to encourage our referees.  I would push this towards our certified referees as well.  Encourage those trying for certification and help them where you can.  It's sad when I see Level 3/4 Referees from a High ranking D1 league not seem to care about the referees in less populated areas.  If our own WFTDA referees won't help, how can we expect the leagues to?

Edit:  Re-reading this it kind of sounds like a "poor me" type response and I really don't mean it that way.  I don't pretend to be awesome after only 35 games and I know I have more to learn.  But it's frustrating that in the few times I have access to a WFTDA certified referee they give the appearance of not really giving a crap.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:47:39 am by Ref Leppard »

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 1732
Views: 2556
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 1613
Views: 2821
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 1646
Views: 3237
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 2500
Views: 3413
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman