Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Author Topic: Switching Penalty box sides at the end of the first period  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Dead Ringer

• Stats Sheet: 0
Switching Penalty box sides at the end of the first period
« on: June 11, 2011, 07:51:19 pm »
Is it standard practice to switch the positions of the penalty box seats at the end of the first period.  I believe it is a good idea since both teams have the opportunity to deal with the "Point of no return line."  I have heard that some teams change seats so they will both have the opportunity to be close to the "Pivot line." I did not notice any particular instructions in the rules regarding this (if there is please cite location) or the "Officiating Standard Practices" info.  Thanks for your guidance and help.

???

Offline FNZebra

• Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 35
  • I'm a shitty ref.
  • League Affiliation: Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
Re: Switching Penalty box sides at the end of the first period
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »
There is nothing in the rules stating teams must swap benches and/or side of the penalty boxes at the half. That is often covered in the bout contract, or less-formally, between the captains of the teams.

I have seen many bouts where neither the benches or penalty boxes are swapped at the half.

I have usually seen when teams swap benches, they do tend to swap penalty boxes, to keep the penalty boxes further away from the respective bench.

I have also seen where some penalty boxes have two "points of no return". This is done at the discretion of the HR, and may be dependent on the venue itself, too.

Please be careful with the phrase 'standard practice', as it can too easily be confused with the "WFTDA Officiating Standard Practices".
You will bout as you practice.

Cheers,

FN Zebra
Bleeding Heartland Roller Derby (WFTDA)
Bloomington, Indianer

Offline Dead Ringer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 08:32:11 pm »
Thanks for the information and I will attempt to keep in mind the use of the term "standard practice" so as not to have it confused with "WFTDA Officiating Standard Practices".  Thanks again.

Offline Graeme

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:06:18 am »
i'd be saying this is one of the unofficial practices leagues have come up with and others have adopted to make it as fair as possible. 
At the league i Ref for, our benches and Penalty box are at the end of track on turns 3 and 4, it's not the best for fast change overs of team between Jams, but there isn't enough room on the side of the rink where the pivot and jammer lines are.
We have never swapped benches at half time, nor has any team every asked to swap benches to get them a little closer to the pivot line in the 2nd half of a bout to make things fair.

Offline GENERAL JUSTICE

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 02:47:50 am »
We give the teams the opportunity to swap benches at half time. If they choose to do so, the penalty boxes also swap.
+1 for the point of no return separate for each box, we have done this from the beginning (4.0).

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 60
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:40:41 am »
A typical practice is to have the penalty boxes opposite the benches, so that, from left to right, it would be Team A bench, Team B penalty box, Team A penalty box, Team B bench.  The best reason to do this is so that it is easy to differentiate between skaters sitting in a team's bench area & skaters sitting in their designated team area.

Under this type of system (maintaining distinction between benches & penalty boxes) the penalty boxes are changed at the half only if the benches change at the half.  Again, the goal in this practice is not parity in penalty box usage, it is maintaining distinction between the benches & the penalty box.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline Tank R. Bell

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 03:09:23 pm »
Saw this for the first time last night... I would think it could be confusing to a League that doesn't use that system on a regular basis..

Offline ttjustice

• Stats Sheet: 18
  • And Justice for All!
  • League Affiliation: Ohio Roller Girls
  • NSO Certification Level: Level 2
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:45:39 pm »
A typical practice is to have the penalty boxes opposite the benches, so that, from left to right, it would be Team A bench, Team B penalty box, Team A penalty box, Team B bench.  The best reason to do this is so that it is easy to differentiate between skaters sitting in a team's bench area & skaters sitting in their designated team area.

Under this type of system (maintaining distinction between benches & penalty boxes) the penalty boxes are changed at the half only if the benches change at the half.  Again, the goal in this practice is not parity in penalty box usage, it is maintaining distinction between the benches & the penalty box. 

This is the system we use for home bouts.  Visiting team is given the option to either have teams switch benches at the half, however normally they choose not to.  Also we only use 1 point of no return line, again due to player preference.  They prefer to have a larger area to slide into.  The philosophy is that the penalty box is an area in which to serve penalties, not a place to generate more by shrinking the space.  Note, we used to use 2 p.o.n.r. lines in years past.
Timothy T. Justice
Ohio Roller Girls Head of Officiating 2011-2013
Retired Level 3 Skating Official
WFTDA Rules Theory Clerk

Offline Darkjester

• Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 05:23:20 am »
Due to venue restrictions our Penalty boxes are infield "Back to Back" so we do switch boxes at half time.

We do also have 2 point of No Returns (Since we use a basketball court with a 'volleyball' court set up over it, there are convenient perfectly placed red lines for us).

I do not require skaters who 'miss' the PONR to exit the track and make a secondary lap, I allow them to 'go with the flow' in CCW around the penalty seats to re-enter.

Yes, it means they may come into contact with Referees (hasn't happened yet knock on wood) but by doing so it does not allow them to bypass the box, and go against the flow and risk a head on collision with a ref.

Hopefully someday we'll have a larger venue where we can seat more fans, have a larger ref lane, and be able to put our Penalty Boxes on the outside.
Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Celtic Raider

• Stats Sheet: 6
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:37:12 pm »
In our home bouts, we have the two points of no return, with the tape for the teams PB the same colour as the tape used for their "bench area".  Also we don't change bench of PB locations, as that gives the teams the chance to keep their stuff in one secure location instead of moving it between periods.

Great Barrier Ref

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 09:24:24 pm »
Common practice around here is that the home team gets to choose their bench, with the visiting team then given the option to switch at the half or not. I feel this encompasses all the various advantages or disadvantages that bench placement has with respect to starting lines, penalty box seats, crowd noise etc.
Thereforce the penalty box seats only switch if the benches do.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3210
Views: 5104
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2310
Views: 4756
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2466
Views: 5303
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3248
Views: 5299
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman