ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: 4.1.1 Intiator of Illegal Target Zone by AdamSmasher
November 15, 2018, 01:32:07 pm

Re: Intentionally not reporting to the penalty box and return to the track by AdamSmasher
November 15, 2018, 01:23:11 pm

Intentionally not reporting to the penalty box and return to the track by constanza
November 13, 2018, 06:57:39 pm

4.1.1 Intiator of Illegal Target Zone by Rego_Derby
November 07, 2018, 01:14:35 am

Nashville Rollergirls 2019 Scrimmage-A-Thon - 2/2/2019 by Major Wood
November 05, 2018, 07:49:04 pm

October 27th Savannah, Georgia- Blocktoberfest Junior Scrimmage Refs needed by TerryT
October 19, 2018, 01:46:12 am

Low Down Throw Down 2019 - May 3-5 - Augusta, GA by Damn Yankee
October 15, 2018, 10:33:04 pm

Re: Directional While Straddling by Vanilla VICE
October 03, 2018, 03:14:54 pm

Re: Directional While Straddling by Garrotin Keillor
September 22, 2018, 06:03:12 am

Directional While Straddling by HELLvis
September 15, 2018, 11:52:16 pm

Author Topic: "Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct  (Read 936 times)

HELLvis

"Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct
« on: September 06, 2018, 05:06:33 pm »
So we had a  bit of an issue with our intraleague championship game this past June and it's still lingering. The losing team accused us officials of bias and incompetence. I watched the footage and am more than satisfied with the job we did. However, the team's coach went so far as to ask an outside referee who is supposedly more experienced than we are to review the footage.  The coach then told us that that referee claimed the game was indeed officiated poorly for a number of reasons that weren't specified. The coach then used this against us and it's causing problems in our league.

My first question:
How appropriate is this for a referee to do this?

Second question is more general:
What do you think are the appropriate ways for teams to communicate dissatisfaction with the officiating outside the game? I certainly think we should be open to feedback, but is there a line that can be crossed there?

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 7
  • Skating in circles since 2012
  • League Affiliation: Garden State Rollergirls and Jerzey Derby Brigade
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: "Unofficial" Referee Code of Conduct
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 07:30:56 pm »
+2
If a coach at my league pulled that I'd respond by asking an outside coach to watch the team and making a list of flaws with their team's strategy.  Admitted,  I come from an area densely populated with leagues, but my local officials have a "we're not going to take that shit" attitude.  We're always open to constructive feedback.  We are not open to pissy coaches pursuing personal vendettas against us.

"Blame the refs" is a defense strategy for coaches as old as there have been organized sports, and it's not going away anytime soon.  So in that manner, the coach is likely to pull stunts like this again and again.  Channeling his behavior in a more construction fashion is key to addressing it.  League leadership might be able to help with that -- if he's running his mouth with the officials, he's likely doing it with others as well.  It might help if you point out that another incident or two like this from the coach and the league will no longer have officials willing to work his games.

All this being said, there might be something to what he says.  It may be well worth asking an outsider of your own -- an official with a good eye and a strong mastery of rules and procedure -- to watch the game and provide you their own list of feedback.  I suspect you and your crew would be the first to admit there's room for improvement; the coach is just being a douchebag as they point this out.

TL;DR -- Coach is being a douchebag. Come up with a proactive plan for both curbing their behavior, and improving as an officiating crew.
6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

HELLvis

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 06:25:47 pm »
The coach has since quit so we don't have to worry about her anymore but I guess my question was more about the appropriateness of the referee putting his two cents in.  Have you heard of someone doing this before? And if that happened to you how would you handle it?

Offline Garrotin Keillor

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 05:11:19 am »
I honestly think the only inappropriateness is questioning/hindering this.

If an outside ref is asked to and does review the officiating after a bout/tournament, the only outcomes I could see are a disgruntled coach, if everything's on the up-and-up, or an avenue to more accurate reffing in the future, if there was indeed gross error.  Since the coach is already miffed it's a no-lose scenario, if one really cares for the sport.

And who better than another ref to maybe explain to the coach that, okay, in hindsight or from the bench, that was the wrong call, but taking into account the angle of view from the ref lane and how fast the calls need to be made it's completely understandable why the call was made.

I do get the feeling that this action was not presented to you in the best manner, and I'm sorry you had to go through that.  Your work is being questioned and that never feels good.

...but to be honest, that's what we do to skaters.  We second-guess their actions.  They may think something they did was legal, we see it - from a different angle - and we call it illegal. And our word goes and they have to go to the box or risk insubordination.  It's the same thing - you're seeing things one way, and the coach is seeing things another.  You're actually in the role we place most skaters in many times, and you should be able to handle it with the same level grace we ask of skaters.  You can make a face in the box, but don't stand on the track and argue.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 2602
Views: 4263
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 1968
Views: 4090
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2114
Views: 4597
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 2940
Views: 4652
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman