Re: "Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Bluebeard
July 11, 2019, 06:30:49 pm

"Pincer" blocks = multipayer? by Rego_Derby
July 11, 2019, 01:08:36 am

Re: Jammer Scoring Theory by Major Wood
June 26, 2019, 09:59:33 pm

Jammer Scoring Theory by Rego_Derby
June 25, 2019, 04:30:03 am

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Author Topic: Ref facepaint  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Rego_Derby

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Med City Mafia
Ref facepaint
« on: June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm »
I typically wear face paint to my team's unsanctioned bouts. At one sanctioned bout no other refs raised an issue with my face paint, but at another I was told I couldn't because it was sanctioned. Is there a rule against refs in face paint during sanctioned bouts or is it a head ref call?

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Ref facepaint
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm »
Head ref call. I have disallowed face paint at all games for a long time. There is nothing saying that this is necessary, but we typically go by the [https://static.wftda.com/officiating/officiating-uniform-policy.pdf]tournament officiating dress code[/url]. This does not explicitly cover face paint, but face paint is very far outside of the clear intent of the dress code that it doesn't need to be in there.

My recommendation would be to stop using face paint for all games, unless you only want to ref home games. I promise that you will lose opportunities because people don't think you take this seriously, even if that isn't true.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Axis of Stevil

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 7
  • Skating in circles since 2012
  • League Affiliation: Garden State Rollergirls and Jerzey Derby Brigade
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 1
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm »
What Wood said.

I once worked a sanctioned game where a ref attended the officials' meeting as normal.  During warmups he visited a face painter in the audience and had his face painted with black and white stripes.  Just prior to first whistle he skated into position with his new appearance.  The HR was pissed as hell, but allowed it because he didn't want to delay the game while the ref washed it off or lose coverage during the game itself.  An unpleasant conversation followed the game in which the HR sternly reminded the ref about judgment, professionalism, and appearance.

I also saw a costume-themed home game in which the league and head officials invited everyone (skaters, officials, the audience) to dress in costume, use face paint, etc. 

Officials should avoid attracting unnecessary attention to their appearance.  The audience's attention should appropriately remain on the skaters.  There are occasional "silly" game where formality is thrown out the window, but any official who engages in attention-seeking behavior at serious derby events will take a ding to their reputation.
6.1.3.5.1.2.3 - The referee who quotes a rule with the most digits is declared the winner.

Offline Rego_Derby

• Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Med City Mafia
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm »
Officials should avoid attracting unnecessary attention to their appearance.

I feel the need to push back on this a bit. I might not have been around the sport very long, but I've already seen female and trans refs with some bright eye shadow and lipstick. Refs put stickers on their helmets, too. Kilts are not nearly as practical as athletic shorts or track pants. We're all wearing ridiculous aliases on our back (many of which are not very family friendly). We're doing our part to draw some attention already.

Part of what got me into the sport was seeing how inclusive it was and how the athletes (and to a lesser extent refs) were allowed their self-expression to celebrate their contribution to this sport. Everyone wasn't just another uniform and number, people (including refs) took pride in their "derby look." It all adds to the pageantry of the sport that differentiates it from the traditions and pageantry of other sports. I respect a head ref that doesn't want it. I'm not gonna want to wear facepaint when it's gonna be a real hassle (e.g. a tournament or cutting it close between arrival and whistle). But I also feel like as with the rest of what we're wearing that as long as it isn't offensive or indicates bias then more power to that individual.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm »
We aren't saying that you have to look exactly like everyone else. The general sentiment of what you quoted is a good one to keep in mind. Everyone is going to have a different idea of where that line is. The further that line is from looking exactly like everyone else is for you, the more likely you are to end up in a conversation where you are being asked to change your appearance for a game.

Real talk... If I knew of a nearby referee who is wearing facepaint at their home games, I likely would never invite that referee to work our games. Especially among the high level referees I know, I'm far from being alone in that thought. Like I said in my first reply, if you want to advance far past home games, it's probably best to avoid things like face paint.
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3269
Views: 5283
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2365
Views: 4879
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2527
Views: 5444
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3303
Views: 5430
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman