Re: 5.11.1.4 [...] any member of the last defined pack by Vanilla VICE
November 28, 2014, 12:50:11 pm

Re: 5.11.1.4 [...] any member of the last defined pack by Dire Wolff
November 27, 2014, 11:35:24 pm

Re: 5.11.1.4 [...] any member of the last defined pack by watzé
November 27, 2014, 09:06:30 pm

Re: 5.11.1.4 [...] any member of the last defined pack by Dire Wolff
November 27, 2014, 09:42:54 am

Author Topic: Track tape  (Read 8857 times)

Offline Noah Tall

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 25
Track tape
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:09:05 am »
What brand of tape do you use to tape down your track\  We're about to run out, and we can't get in touch with our old head ref to find out what brand and where he bought it.  Any suggestions would be most helpful :)
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Bishop

• Referee
  • Superhero Member
  • Stats Sheet: 51
  • Quoth the raven, "Nevermore."
  • League Affiliation: Charlottesville Derby Dames
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 2
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Re: Track tape
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:35:27 am »
I think this is the website where my league purchased trusty ole gaffer's tape:

http://www.packagingtapeinc.com/

I think the shipping is fairly expensive so you'll want to consolidate your orders (i.e. make one big order instead of several small ones.)

Also, I'd recommend 3" tape for taping over rope.  Plenty of leagues try to use the 2" tape, but I don't think it does very well and would recommend against it - go for the 3" stuff.  For the 10' markings, the 1/2" flourescent stuff is relatively inexpensive and highly visible. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 01:46:23 am by Bishop »
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating
Propose rule changes at timeout.wftda.com.

Offline Bishop

• Referee
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:41:16 am »

Oops, I take that back.  I think this is where we got our tape:

http://www.buytape.com/

Google search "Gaffers Tape" to your heart's content if you want to hunt around for the best deal possible.
Recommended Resources:WFTDA Rules Central, WFTDA officiating & Successful Sports Officiating

Offline reflmao

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 21
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:47:37 am »
For the track border RCRD uses 3" vinyl tape from identi-tape.com.   Specifically the Black & Yellow Striped
Vinyl Hazard Tape from this page http://www.identi-tape.com/stripes&checks.htm .  We use 1" gaffers tape for the 10' lines.

It looks good, holds up well in a game and is reasonably priced.  We do check it at half time and patch any spots where we can see the rope, but it's generally not much to do.  We've never had it come up.   4 rolls of the stripes covers the track border and 3 rolls of the gaffers does all the 10' lines, safety zone in front of the benches and box and point of no return lines at the box.

Also, identi-tape gives a 10% discount for a big enough order.  

Pic Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixel8-rcrd/4834841681/in/set-72157624471442863/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:47:00 pm by reflmao »
RCRD, Rochester, NY

Offline Bishop

• Referee
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 01:53:59 am »

Oh, now that's fancy, reflmao.  :o

I should clarify that most places that use gaffers tape to mark their track boundaries do so because of the venue owner's concern of leaving any tacky residue.   There are less expensive options that may work just as well for your particular venue surface.

Offline howie~swerve

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 20
  • Cake or death?
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 01:57:38 am »
but good ol' 2-inch blue painters tape makes a perfectly cheap and satisfactory tape for practices and scrimmages.  and bouts where you don't have much money for production.

and when I say "satisfactory", my main criteria is that it sticks but it doesn't leave a residue on the floor when you pull it up.  This will strain relations with the venue owners and make you miserable.  do NOT use masking tape or, god forbid, packing tape, no mater how easily they promise to clean up.  Whoever is making those claims is not anticipating the tape being rolled over and slid across by rollergirls.  I've been at venues that made both of these mistakes.

my sense is that for beginning leagues, full-on gaffer's tape or vinyl tape might not be the best use of scarce resources.

h~
Rollergirls of Central Kentucky (Lexington, KY)
"To protect and to swerve."

Offline reflmao

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 21
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:16:27 am »
We definitely went a step up to go with this vinyl tape specifically in order to not leave marks.  It's very similar to Wrestling Mat Tape.  It does leave enough residue that the next time we setup you can just barely see where the track was last time but the floor is not left tacky at all.  Our venue has had 0 issues with it.  

We haven't yet tried this on the wooden floor at the skating rink where we practice but we've tried similar tapes in our initial testing and they approved those.

I'm not sure what a picky venue would say so best I can say is try it.  We went through about 10 samples of rope and 4 or 5 different tapes before we found the combo we like.
RCRD, Rochester, NY

Offline Captain Gorgeous

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 18
  • Hate me because I AM beautiful.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 03:22:25 am »
We definitely went a step up to go with this vinyl tape specifically in order to not leave marks.  It's very similar to Wrestling Mat Tape.  It does leave enough residue that the next time we setup you can just barely see where the track was last time but the floor is not left tacky at all.  Our venue has had 0 issues with it.  

We haven't yet tried this on the wooden floor at the skating rink where we practice but we've tried similar tapes in our initial testing and they approved those.

I'm not sure what a picky venue would say so best I can say is try it.  We went through about 10 samples of rope and 4 or 5 different tapes before we found the combo we like.

I'd be interested in what type of residue this leaves on wood floors and polished cement floors as well.
WFTDA Level 2 Certified Referee

Offline Noah Tall

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 25
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:35:11 am »
Thanks!  We use the blue painter tape for our 10' lines, and our track boundary is actually painted on the rink floor for practice.  We just need to restock the tape that holds the rope boundary down for our bouts, and we were at a loss as to where to find it.
WFTDA Ref Rep
WFTDA AP Area Coordinator
Arkansas

"We may not be skilled, but at least we're impartial!"

Offline Bishop

• Referee
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 12:56:55 am »
I know there was a lot of interest in the track boundary at WFTDA Championships last year.  I snapped a couple close-ups of it for the forum

The track boundary is approximately 7/8" (2.2 cm) high.  It is made of neoprene gasketing material wrapped in gaffers tape.  The neoprene was wrapped tightly but is still eessentially the same size it was prior to the gaffers tape.  It is secrued to the surface with clear tape.  The result is a stiff but resilient boundary line.   

Offline Sven WillIBeFamous

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 2
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 03:53:03 pm »
I've found that the regular PVC hazard tape is good enough.  It's stretchy enough to resist splitting when it is rolled over (especially when it's over the rope), it comes in a range of bright contrasting colours and is relatively cheap when bought in bulk.  Also it can be picked up from most large hardware/DIY stores and so if you have a last minute tape emergency you can send someone off to get someone relatively quickly.

HelP!MYSPaceBarANDCapsLOCkaREBroKen!

Offline Laddie

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Fort Wayne Derby Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 05:03:50 pm »
I currently use 3-inch white gaffers tape over yellow 1/2-inch polypropylene rope. Since we currently bout in a rink and can't leave the track down, leaving little to no residue was critical. Of course, that tape is $306 a case for 16 rolls (using a little over two rolls every setup).

For practice we use the Wicked no-trip pads, which are great, but start to move like crazy as they get dirty/old.

If anyone has a suggestion for something that is as clean as gaffers but not so expensive, I'm all ears.
Laddie - 1107
Head Referee, Fort Wayne Derby Girls
WFTDA Level 3 Certified Referee
MRDA Recognized Referee

Offline Bishop

• Referee
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 05:49:23 pm »
If anyone has a suggestion for something that is as clean as gaffers but not so expensive, I'm all ears.

Painter's tape is probably your best option expense-wise.  I don't like painter's overtop of rope as it seems to be more likely to tear. 

IMO, assuming a minimum level of tape durability/quality, it's not that any particular No Residue tape is more expensive than others as much as it is the wider the roll, the more expensive it will be (I mean, that's makes sense right?  A 3" roll of tape has three times the surface area of a 1" roll.)  If you're using 1/2-inch rope, you should be able to use 2" tape without much trouble - especially if you take care putting it down.  Since 2" tape is a third less surface area, it should be roughly 33% less expensive as the 3" stuff. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:11:12 pm by Bishop »

Offline The Gorram Reaver

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 59
  • League Affiliation: Mad Rollin' Dolls
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 06:21:51 pm »
The problem I've seen with painter's tape is that a lot of wheel action can both forcefully adhere the tape to the floor & create small cuts or tears in the tape.  This happens when there's a lot of stopping, hard cutting, and fast maneuvering, all of which is pretty typical action at the line.  When the game or practice is over, you have a whole bunch of little pieces of tape to pull up.

The heavy-duty painters tape is resistant to most but the worst of this type of action, and is definitely the one you should use if you can, but it is more expensive than the standard tape.  If you're using standard painters tape, however, be prepared to spend extra time picking the tape up off the floor.

Also, if you have the No Trip Track pieces & the biggest concern is that they're no longer staying in place as they age, consider using the painter's tape to tape them down.  Quick & easy pick-up, and the skaters still get the tactile sense that the NTT is supposed to provide.
The Gorram Reaver
Mad Rollin' Dolls, Madison, WI

Offline Laddie

• Referee
  • Stats Sheet: 0
  • League Affiliation: Fort Wayne Derby Girls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 3
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 08:02:45 pm »
Goram - Taping down the pads... not sure we haven't thought of that, but it's a great idea. I might give that a try tonight.

Bishop - I totally get why the 3-inch gaffers is more expense (mo' bigger), I suppose was I thinking more along the lines of something lighter and less material intensive than gaffers tape. The main issue with using painters tape (2-inch or wider) is I couldn't find any in brighter colors. We already use blue 1-inch for the 10-foot lines, but IMO it's not bright enough for the boundary on our floor (wood rink).

We actually did use 2-inch gaffers for the first test setup, but being that we were track newbies it was a little rough. Once get some skills down maybe we can try that again.
Laddie - 1107
Head Referee, Fort Wayne Derby Girls
WFTDA Level 3 Certified Referee
MRDA Recognized Referee

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Rating: *****
Downloads: 599
Views: 878
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 818
Views: 1204
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Rating: *****
Downloads: 1531
Views: 1479
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Scrimmage Paperwork and Statsbook
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 886
Views: 1936
Filesize: 0KB