ZH Classifieds
ZH Files
ZH Staff
WFTDA 12/1/2014 Rules
WFTDA 3/1/2014 Rules

Donate

Please Support Zebra Huddle!

Recent Posts

Re: Clamping down with the upper arm by bmd (2113)
June 12, 2019, 07:54:29 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 12, 2019, 04:16:34 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 11, 2019, 11:35:08 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Axis of Stevil
June 10, 2019, 06:56:10 pm

Re: Ref facepaint by Major Wood
June 10, 2019, 01:49:04 pm

Ref facepaint by Rego_Derby
June 09, 2019, 03:38:38 pm

Re: Answering a directional with forearms by Major Wood
April 30, 2019, 07:44:47 pm

Answering a directional with forearms by Rego_Derby
April 30, 2019, 05:56:20 pm

Re: Yielding to the opposite side of the track by Bluebeard
April 22, 2019, 07:21:28 pm

Yielding to the opposite side of the track by MyBabyDaddy
April 21, 2019, 03:22:45 am

Author Topic: Zebra Huddle policies (PLEASE READ AND COMMENT)  (Read 39439 times)

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
  • Has Too Much Damn Time Member
  • Stats Sheet: 77
  • League Affiliation: Nashville Rollergirls
  • Referee Certification Level: Level 5
  • NSO Certification Level: Not Certified
Zebra Huddle policies (PLEASE READ AND COMMENT)
« on: January 28, 2009, 03:26:01 am »
The following post is explaining the basic ideas behind the appropriate use policies that I am going to be implementing soon. This is a preliminary draft, so please reply with your thoughts. When this is complete, I may or may not make it much more formal. Here goes...

Appropriate Use Policy

Zebra Huddle users who have been engaged in any form of misconduct within the site may be placed under review. This may occur if the Zebra Huddle staff receives complaints about the user or if Zebra Huddle staff notices any misconduct.

Appropriate Use Committee
If a user is placed under review, it will go before the appropriate use committee. As of this writing, the appropriate use committee will be comprised of the following members (in alphabetical order):

• Cliquework
  • Shaun Ketterman
  • Major Wood

Complaints
Complaints may be addressed to any of the appropriate use committee members through private message. Appropriate use committee members may be subject to review upon complaint. Complaints will be handled in order of severity, followed by order of submission. The complainant's name may be mentioned within the committee, but shall not be mentioned to outside parties.

Inappropriate Use
Inappropriate uses of the Zebra Huddle site include, but are not limited to:

• Harassment
  • Libel/Slander
  • Abusing the Stats Sheet system
  • Spamming
  • Any attempts at unauthorized access
  • Posting confidential information
  • Other douchebaggery

Stats Sheet System
Any user who repeatedly has a negative Stats Sheet score, or a double digit negative Stats Sheet score that continues to decrease may prompt an appropriate use committee member to investigate the reason for such a low Stats Sheet score. If the appropriate use committee finds the user to be acting in an inappropriate manner, the user may be placed under review.

Review Process
After it has been decided to place a user under review, the appropriate use committee will discuss the situation in question. The goal of this discussion is to determine if there needs to be any disciplinary measures, and what measures to use.

Disciplinary measures include, but are not limited to:
  • No action
  • Keep an eye on the situation, possibly revisit later
  • Warn the user
  • Restrict user to view only*
  • Remove user from Referee membergroup*
  • Remove ability to use the Stats Sheet*
  • Remove private messaging capabilities*
  • Delete user
  • Ban user

* Length of this restriction to be determined by the appropriate use committee

If the committee agrees that the situation warrants action (more than keeping an eye on the situation), the user in question will be contacted (by email and/or private message) and given a chance to respond to the complaint (they will not be given the name of the complainant, if applicable). The committee will allow adequate time (no less than 24 hours) for the user in question to respond.
However, if the behavior that caused the review continues after the user in question has been contacted, but before they have responded, the appropriate use committee may decide to expedite the rest of the review process. Expediting the review process may be permitted within the minimum 24 hour frame allowed for the user in question to respond if the appropriate use committee deems the situation pressing enough to warrant immediate action.
The review process may also be expedited if the user under review has been under review in the past for similar complaints. Also if there are any unforeseen circumstances that the Appropriate-Use Committee deems expedition necessary, they may expedite the process upon unanimous agreement.
Expediting the review process will require a unanimous agreement of all committee members.
After the user in question has responded, or the review process has been expedited, the appropriate use committee will continue discussions until a disciplinary measure has been decided. All members of the appropriate use committee must agree on a disciplinary measure before it is enforced.

Discipline Enforcement
Once the disciplinary measure has been agreed on, it will be enforced immediately. If the disciplinary measure chosen was to give the user in question a warning, any member of the appropriate use committee may issue this warning. Any other disciplinary measure may only be enforced by Major Wood. At which point he will contact the user by private message and/or email to let the user know the outcome of the review and any other relevant information.

Ok, so... That turned out to be a whole lot more formal than I had expected.
Anyways, please respond with your input.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:24:27 pm by Major Wood »
Your friendly Zebra Huddle admin.

Nashville Roller Derby Head Ref
WFTDA Level 5 Certified Referee

I speak only of my opinions and interpretations.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
Re: Zebra Huddle policies (PLEASE READ AND COMMENT)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:43:05 am »
I apologize to any of you who received this as an email. I used the notify option when I posted and thought (wrongly) that it would send notification by private message. I won't be doing that in the future. It is not my intention to clog your inbox with notifications.

Offline Darkjester

• Stats Sheet: 39
  • "When in doubt, RTFM"
  • League Affiliation: Beach Brawl SK8R Dolls
  • Referee Certification Level: Not Certified
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 04:21:08 am »
I don't feel its overly abusive nor invasive. It seems fair and logical in the "no::" requirements.

Madness Tolls
69¢
Beach Brawl Sk8R Dolls
Fort Walton Beach FL

Offline Catch22

• Stats Sheet: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 04:26:06 am »
I think that this is well thought out. It's nice to know that people won't be able to run amok without consequences.
It's too bad that the mod/admin at the yahoo site hasn't come up with something similar.

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:30:55 am »
I would be surprised if Yahoo gives as much administrative control as you can have when you host your own forum with software as powerful as SMF (which powers Zebra Huddle). Many things that I can't do with the forum software as it is installed can be added by altering the code of the site.

Offline Ruth of All Evil

• Stats Sheet: 1
  • Maine Roller Derby
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 04:37:02 pm »
This sounds really well-thought-out and fair. And hopefully we'll never need to use it, right?

Not that I EVER expect this to happen, but would the process be the same if the complaint were against a member of the appropriate use committee? Since we refs love to cover our hypothetical bases.
Help me go to grad school: http://MGChains.Etsy.com

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »
The process would be similar. I assume that the committee member who has been complained about would not have access to the discussion, to allow for the same rights that each user has if they are under review.

I doubt it will happen either. I selected the committee members because I think they can be very fair and effectively argue their point without the discussion being drawn out too long as well as their conduct as members of this forum.

While I doubt it will happen, I will need to add something more about this to the policy. Just as I don't want to ever need to use this policy, it's there just in case.

Offline Ruth of All Evil

• Maine Roller Derby
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 05:05:51 pm »
I doubt it will happen either. I selected the committee members because I think they can be very fair and effectively argue their point without the discussion being drawn out too long as well as their conduct as members of this forum.

I totally agree, but it's good to have the backup policy in place. I'm sure many of us have seen how bad things get when the moderator is the douchebag.

The beauty of a community like this is that while we're unlikely to have a huge need for a complaint process, we're responsible enough to have it in place anyhow.
Help me go to grad school: http://MGChains.Etsy.com

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 07:10:36 pm »
Edits to the policy will include the following

Review process for complaints against committee members

Any request directed at a committee member that the committee member feels should be decided by the committee will go through a process similar to the review process.

If a unanimous decision cannot be reached during a review, no disciplinary measure will be given.

Any decisions made by the appropriate use committee are binding.

Deleting an account and re-registering will prompt a review.

Offline Scoldin' Girls

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:25:20 pm »
Even refs need reffing from time to time :-\
Nashville Rollergirls Referee

Offline perry

• Stats Sheet: -1
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 10:02:49 pm »
DO IT

Offline bronco

• Stats Sheet: 9
  • rules and stripes forever!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:28:29 pm »
Hi Major Wood,

Wow, you keep putting more good stuff into this board and all refs really appreciate the effort!

My recommendations would be:

- add a west coast ref as a moderator/grievance/admin
- review the stats and posts of negative members to determine why they are negative

The first will temper any rift between east-west refs.  Hannah, Hunter, or Parts would be great in this role.

On the second, I have a tough time figuring out where my -7 came from (with 30+ posts), but suspect many negatives came from a single post, and possibly even a single person.  Does this mean I must be careful with what I say?  Or how I say it?  Forums are places where people disagree and learn from it.

Keep up the great work and thanks for staying on top of things!

... Bronco
... Ref. Bronco

Offline Major Wood

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:41:55 pm »
Hi Major Wood,

Wow, you keep putting more good stuff into this board and all refs really appreciate the effort!

My recommendations would be:

- add a west coast ref as a moderator/grievance/admin
- review the stats and posts of negative members to determine why they are negative

The first will temper any rift between east-west refs.  Hannah, Hunter, or Parts would be great in this role.

On the second, I have a tough time figuring out where my -7 came from (with 30+ posts), but suspect many negatives came from a single post, and possibly even a single person.  Does this mean I must be careful with what I say?  Or how I say it?  Forums are places where people disagree and learn from it.

Keep up the great work and thanks for staying on top of things!

... Bronco

I have selected the members that I think will be best for the job. Not saying that the people you mentioned wouldn't be, but I am not as familiar with them. Some of it also has to do with the amount of time that is spent here. I think that any more than 4 members would get to be a bit difficult to get reviews completed in a reasonable amount of time. However, if one of the current members ever decides to step down from the committee, I'll be more than open to suggestions.

With the new software I have installed (it has been installed for several days now), I can see the reason someone gives karma, and the exact post that they gave it for. This will make it much easier to assess any problems.

Disagreement is part of a forum. Though, anywhere that you speak, you need to choose your words. There are two ways that people can let you know that you've done something wrong. One is by giving majors, another is by pointing out the problem in a post. Hopefully a major is always coupled with notifying you somehow.

Offline Izzy Wright

• We shall never speak of it again.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:52 pm »
I am grateful there is a policy in place at all and the fact that it seems reasonable and well thought out is a bonus.  :) I appreciate that there is more structure and organisation in place here then in.. uh, other groups.

Thanks again to Wood and all those on the committee. It's not a bad idea to consider adding a west coast referee to the list in some capacity.

Cheers,

Izzy Wright
Izzy Wright (?)
RETIRED! :) Head Referee
Emerald City Roller Girls (WFTDA)
Eugene Oregon

Offline L8R SK8R

• Restricted User
  • Stats Sheet: -13
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 06:54:26 pm »

I, too, have difficulty with my stats sheet score. While I understand I have been adamant on a couple of rules interpretations, I have yet to have someone post rearding my forum conduct and instead have received a whole bunch of Majors. Its fine for people to disagree with me, but I find it hard to believe my posts merit this sort of backlash. I have not been rude to other members of the forum, nor disrespectful, nor douchebagish at all.

If you're going to give someone a major, the decent thing to do would be to either send them a personal message regarding why they got their major, or possibly post in the thread beforehand letting them know their conduct is getting out of hand.

Featured Product

Zebra Huddle Head Referee Bout Booklet

Featured Classifieds

ZH Files

How to Score a Point in Roller Derby
Rating: *****
Downloads: 3173
Views: 5014
Filesize: 327.61KB
Date: January 17, 2017, 04:21:03 am
Comments (0)
By: AdamSmasher
June 2013 Ruleset situational questions
Downloads: 2272
Views: 4681
Filesize: 29.71KB
Date: February 07, 2014, 04:57:32 pm
Comments (2)
By: Crash Test Ref
Rules Q&A and Publications for 6/15/13 Document
Rating: (None)
Downloads: 2427
Views: 5211
Filesize: 26.27KB
Date: August 02, 2013, 04:10:40 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman
Rules Q&A and Publications for 1/1/13 Document (4/24/13 Updates)
Downloads: 3214
Views: 5227
Filesize: 28.07KB
Date: April 25, 2013, 05:45:34 pm
Comments (0)
By: Shaun Ketterman